Author Topic: Game freezes every 5 seconds  (Read 984 times)

Dollgunn

Game freezes every 5 seconds
« on: April 14, 2009, 08:58:27 AM »
Well unfortunally i have a new problem. It is happening to my game and it happens to the demo i downloaded to see if it was a singular problem. When i enter a game, be it quick mode or the sotry line, my game will freeze and the sounds will continue on a loop in the back ground. It will freeze for 3-6 seconds, unfreeze for 2-3 and then re-freeze.

As you can tell, it makes in impossible to play the game, again, any and all help is appriehiated(sp)

Many thanks.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
Re: Game freezes every 5 seconds
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 12:41:46 PM »
Try running in Windowed Mode, and then have the Task Manager running along side (open on processes, with decending order on CPU), see if there are other programs hogging the CPU. You can't do that with the demo.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Dollgunn

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 01:20:01 PM »
Sorry for being completely hopeless, but how do i open the game in windowed?

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 02:10:54 PM »
Start the game in -TestMode, then go to the Graphics Options.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Dollgunn

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 02:33:07 PM »
It appears that the only other process that has equal amout of CPU being taken in system idle process.

What confuses me is that when im not playing the game, i have around 90 processes running at 8-16% of CPU, when i run the game system idle processes fall from 90 to between 20-45 and STBC takes 45 and im still running 90 processes, but its saying im using 60-100% CPU power

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 05:35:09 PM »
Do you have a dual core system? If so, then it's normal.
It's practically impossible for a single process to take a real 100% CPU.

The real question is, does anything stand out when BC freezes?

[EDIT] You don't happen to have a really old BPCore version installed, and never bothered to upgrade?
What happens when mods are disabled?
Or is this a stock installation?

Dollgunn

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 07:56:21 PM »
Nothing particular stands out=/

Sorry to be annoying but im unclear as to the meanings of BPCore and Stock Installation

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 11:54:55 AM »
BPCore is a mod, and an earlier version of it had a bug that could cause slowdowns.

"Stock" is a term used for an aspect of Bridge Commander that has not been modified, a "stock installation" is an installation of BC that has nothing changed.

Do the same slowdowns also occur in the main menu (you should be able to test this via mouse movement).
What are the specifications of your computer?

Dollgunn

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2009, 05:50:31 PM »
After having a few days away from computer i decided to give it another go.

I still run it in windowed mode, as it crashes frequentl on load up and once im on i forget to re size.

For ths first time a debug window popped up.

Don't know if this helps

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn302/boblerrr/debug.jpg

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009, 06:48:17 PM »
Sorry about the delay.

I thought you said you didn't have any mods installed?

Dollgunn

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2009, 05:07:02 PM »
Yes i have a few ship mods intalled and some other enhancements.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2009, 05:12:54 PM »
Which enhancements are they?

Dollgunn

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2009, 02:43:20 PM »
Amg alot of ships erm:

Crcube
Firebird
defiant class
foundationtech
nanofx
mvaminfinate
djjuno
norway
luna
journeyman
quickbattle23
srunner
warshipintrepid
c2nova
lakota. and others i forget

Offline teleguy

• Cookies: 53
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2009, 09:09:32 AM »
You still haven't answered if you have a dual core system. If you do, maybe this can help you.
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=983781