Author Topic: Hosting Dedicated Server on LAN  (Read 823 times)

Wilhelm

Hosting Dedicated Server on LAN
« on: March 01, 2009, 04:45:14 AM »
hi

Im hoping to try and host a dedicated server but also be able to play on the server at the same time... Ive already tried to test this by hosting the server , minimizing BC , then opening a new BC  (having two BCs running , One as server , and one as client).. the problem with that was when i connected it was very slow and I couldn't see anyone eles that was in the server though they could see me and damage me..(also i couldnt text)..
I have two computers in my house connecting to the internet through a netgear router.. and have already forwarded the necessary ports for hosting BC. What I tried next was host the dedicated server on one computer and then play from my other .. this time i couldnt connect at all.. so does anyone know if it is possible to do this?

forgive me if this has been brought up before..  i searched but couldnt find anything on this..

Thanks in advance

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
Re: Hosting Dedicated Server on LAN
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 07:02:44 AM »
Unfortunately, BC has no option for Dedicated Server.
And every time I accidently ran BC twice has resulted in the later instance of BC to not respond at all.

The issue of Dedicated Server has been discussed several times before.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Wilhelm

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 07:34:42 AM »
sorry i forgot to mention im using KM 1.0? :(... it has an option for running Dedicated server in host options. i know the issue of a dedicated server has been brought up .. but all ive been able to find is people asking how to run one without the GUI.. which isnt a problem for me ... maybe im missing something here .. thx for the reply

just realized another thing.. im trying to host and play on my LAN but have others connect from the internet.. so would i set the server for internet or LAN ..? do i need a static ip u think?

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 08:23:42 AM »
I suppose the point of LAN is that you don't need to have a dedicated host, meaning you can easily (or it should be easy anyway) setup games with the other computer on your lan.

From my experience, trying to run BC twice at the same time isn't a good idea, regardless if one of them is the dedicated server.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Wilhelm

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 08:57:42 AM »
the reason i want a dedicated server is so clan members and anyone else can come on at anytime and play even if im not around... though i would like to be able to play on the server as well when i am.. I have one computer that I can leave on all the time to do this .. and i want that to be my server...
yes i suppose i could setup a regular internet server and  change my name on the host computer to "Host" or something and never spawn in a ship.. then play from my other computer... 
but i wonder why it wouldnt work before when i hosted a dedicated on one and client on the other?.... and will i have the same problem running a regular server....
i hope im being clear .. im still very new at all this..
thx

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 09:19:52 AM »
If you are in a LAN, then everyone is within, say, 100meter range.

Your best option is to leave it running on the server, and then use another computer to play on it. Or play it on the server itself, so you host it.

Wilhelm

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 10:06:19 AM »
ok i resolved my lag issue by connecting to the host from the client computer by using the Direct Connect option and typing in the internal ip for the host computer  :)... now i just need someone else from the outside to connect to see if all is working ...

Offline Nebula

• BC elder / BCC Vice Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1129
  • KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder (2002)
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 10:22:00 AM »
huh I've had a dedicated server of BC running at the same time I had a second instance of BC running and it all worked :?

Just can't have more than 2 BC's running... Then things go all crazy. lol
Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.

Wilhelm

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 10:46:31 AM »
Well Im happy to say the problem is resolved .. everything is working fine now .. no lag .. and i can finally step away from this machine..  :shock:
Thanks guys for your replys and your time..