Author Topic: More than 8 players MP?  (Read 544 times)

Fenix

More than 8 players MP?
« on: February 13, 2009, 07:24:03 PM »
Is there any way of getting more than 8 players in multiplay currently?
I remember reading something about it not being very stable but that was a few years ago..

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
Re: More than 8 players MP?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 07:27:34 PM »
*Moved to BC General*

If memory serves me right, there is a mod that allows up to 16 players, but if that really works (and is stable), then it will mostlikely be in KM1.0.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Fenix

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 07:44:45 PM »
Thanks.. after googling i found
Distributing so many files is really not necessary to enable 16 or more players. The only thing you have to do is to increase MAX_PLAYER_LIMIT in MissionMenusShared.py to 16 or more.

I also noticed that the file MissionMenusShared.pyc in this modification appears to be 26 bytes larger than the original (net size, compared after removing the path name differences in the .pyc files), which is an indication that there are some extra calculations in the modified byte code. This could be the indication for some dirty hacks. May be you should try to modify MAX_PLAYER_LIMIT only and see what happens.

would it really be as simple as changing MAX_PLAYER_LIMIT?

Offline USS Frontier

• Cookies: 562
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 10:27:50 PM »
Yes it could be as easy as that. You'll only know for sure if you try it.

There are various reasons of a player limit in online MP: engine reasons, gameplay reasons, performance reasons...
Engine reasons are when a game engine simply doesn't support more players than X. And we don't know if BC's old engine has such limit.
Gameplay reasons are when the devs simply put the limit there because of the gameplay, like it just wouldn't be ok or something like that with more than X players.
Performance reasons are when the devs put the limit to ensure that the MP game runs in an acceptable performance. For example I once read an interview with <don't remember who from the Supreme Commander team>, in the period the game was launched, that the 8 player limit for online matches was there simply because up until then no PC would be able to run at an acceptable frame rate the game with more than 8 players, and the engine itself could support far more players...

Anyway if the engine itself of BC can support more than 8 players (that is the limit was not for 'engine reasons'), increasing the player limit shouldn't cause any problems...
"Revenge is a dish best served cold"
                    -Old Klingon Proverb
GravityFX Download
Galaxy Charts Download

Offline Defiant

• Cookies: 1105
    • BC: Kobayashi Maru
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 10:44:19 AM »
performance reasons...
thats the one. BCs MP protocoll just suck. But I think its the server admin choice how many clients he can accept.
Also, computers are a little faster now. Thats why I raised this limit in KM.