Author Topic: MV Shields + Critical Hits  (Read 2037 times)

Offline DKealt

• Cookies: 4
MV Shields + Critical Hits
« on: February 18, 2009, 10:24:28 AM »
Working on the Stargate pack has raised some issues I have with the BC game,

Basically I was wondering if it is possible to do the following...

1) Disable critical hits, its very annoying on some ships such as the hive, that when hits by a nuke just roll al over the place.
2) On shielding when a vector reaches 50% the weapons just penetrate the shield, using MV shielding on the SG ships that often results in the shields still being at 20% or 30% when the ship blows,

Its also very annoying to script things like Nukes that can destroy a flagship with shields at 90% if its critical a critical hit.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
Re: MV Shields + Critical Hits
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 12:34:33 PM »
*Moved to Tech Support*

1) If memory serves, the Hive ship in that pack has a really low mass/inertia, meaning it's easy to "kick" about.
2) Are you sure it's 50%? Weapons can pass through shields once they hit 5%, until they are restored till 10% or something like that.

Are the projectiles (or ships) fast moving? Fast moving projectiles (or ships) have a far higher chance that a projectile "skips" the shield.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline DKealt

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 08:34:28 PM »
Being stargate all the practically all the ships use pulse weapons, often the weapons have a speed value of about 75.0

And the ships themselve vary in speed between 5-7 on the impulse scale.

With such large amounts of constant disruptor fire it seems the ratio of hits passing through the shields is greatly increased.

And yes, once the MV shields drop below 50% the ships begin to take hull damge from any weapon, beam or pulse

_____

O and for the hive, while its true that if I boost up the ships mass and inertia it does reduce the spin of a critical hit.

The problem with that is that when under fire the ship is just plain unmovable, the hits just stop the movement.

The ship is also ridiculous to fly

posts merged...

Offline KrrKs

• Cookies: 25
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 11:21:40 AM »
You could alter the MV script that way that it removes any damage to subsystems while the shild are still up.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 12:31:25 PM »
Question, if you remove the Multivectral shielding of the ship you are using, does it still happen?
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline DKealt

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 01:24:50 PM »
Yeh, it happens on any ship.

When the shield strength of that vector drops below 50% some of the weapon damage stikes the hull, phaser, pulse or torpedo

I thought it always had been in BC, obviously on a ship when shields drop below 10% the weapon passes straight through as if they weren't there.

But as I say this is most problematic in SG ships using MV shielding as the shield strength is much greater than the hull, by the time the gradual damage from weapons has built up enough to destroy a ship the shield can still be at 30% at times, it makes things very difficult to balance.

It's not a problem in the game files as far as i know, just a feature in BC i was looking to overcome somehow

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 02:11:20 PM »
Well, MultiVectral shielding shouldn't affect this.

Is it possible that the weapons used are really powerful?

Offline DKealt

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 02:35:42 PM »
I think its is the weapon strength that makes this problem yes.

As far as i can observe once the shield vector drops below 50%, a percentage of the weapon damage passes through the shield,
The lower your shields go the more of this damage is translated.

So when being bombarded by a constant stream of pulse weapons on a ship that has very strong shields compared to its hull strength, the hull ends up taking more of a beating than the shields do, hence the problem

Its obviously programeed into BC to allow damage to pass onto the hull and subsystems etc when the shield is below 50%, I just wanted to know if its possible to turn it off/ make a ship immune, as well as making a ship immune to recieving critical hits

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 04:27:47 PM »
I still think that it's the speed bug.
Have you tried starting a battle with just you and an ally, and then fire on the ally, twice? To see if it still happens? Just from a sitting position, not moving at all (except targetting).

Offline DKealt

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 07:33:57 PM »
It's a definate yes, when shields are below 50% the weapon system begins to damage the hull,

when looking at the ship iin the camera mode you can see the projectiles begin to pass through and hit the hull.

It is true yes that when stationary the weapons reduce their ability to create a critical hit and provide hull damage even when shields are above 90%,
but when under 50%, a percentage of the fire passes through the shield.

The weapons are scripted to usually recieve 600 dmg at every strike, so no matter how strong the shield, damage gets through.

I alwasy thought this was a part of BC that everyone suffered from.

Obviously in games using say a Glaxy class against a BOP the damage is minimal, but still occasionally a disruptor manages to damage the hull

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2009, 12:17:23 PM »
Stupid question perhaps, do the projectiles have a tech attached to it?

Since for stationary targets the projectile would have to be really fast to accidently skip.

But you can make shield skipping projectiles with a FoundationTech.

Offline DKealt

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2009, 02:29:40 PM »
No tech,

The projectile doesn't skip when stationary

But as I say, drop below 50% a portion of the damage passes through, gradually worsening the more a shield is weakened

This happens anyway, I swear it does, If you use a BOP against say a galaxy, when the shield vector ur attacking drops below 50% u see the hull start to take damage, very little but still some.

I have three main Problems, as far as I'm aware they're part of BC's foundations, not errors...

1) On SG ships, things like Critical Hits are a problem launching Nukes, with damage values being upto 5000 with a damage radius of 5.0, if the projectile does manage to skip a shield, its game over, sometimes way too early.

2) In general the 50% shield problem is increased when using MV shields. A portion of damage hits the hull as well as the shield. The problem is found using MV shielding as well as the fact that when using ships with hull properties of 20,000 and a MV shield of 20,000 x 6 the shields still remain quite strong when the ship is detroyed.

3) Critical hits are bothersome to the hive, with no shielding its impossible to manouevre when under fire, it just gets knocked around, chainging the inertia and mass levels are effective to a degree...

ie. If i set rotational inertia to 0 or a ridiculously high value, the ship doesn't move when hit, problem with that is that you literally can't move.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2009, 02:51:37 PM »
If it doesn't happen when stationary, then it's the speed bug.

And a BoP against a Galaxy isn't entirely fair. ;) Same as a BoP against a Warbird.

I don't think I've ever heard of a "critical" hit in BC, only the speed bug.

I think it's a problem of too much realism, I mean, even if on the show the ships turn that fast, but don't rock so much, then the damage/speed of the weapons need to be adjusted to keep that movability-like ability, and the shields/hull condition with them.

djuice

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2009, 05:49:25 AM »
I can confirm what DKealt is saying with MV shields.  When shields are below 50% bleedthrough damage occurs, and when its below 25% the shields kinda become non-existent, even though they still get damage but they don't reduce the incoming damage from either beam or pulse weapons.

I tried it against DS9 with MV shields, since it wasn't moving I don't think its speed bug related.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2009, 06:49:54 AM »
Are you using FoundationTechnologies or ATP for the MultiVectral shielding?

Now, the question is, does it only happen with the SG weapons, or can you do it for any ship at all?

djuice

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2009, 06:52:23 AM »
I'm using FTech for MV, and it's happening with normal ships from KM1.0.

Offline DKealt

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2009, 12:49:18 PM »
As I said, I don't know why this thread was moved to Technical Support, its not a problem.

As far as I can tell its supposed to happen in BC.

My problem is that to get SG ships to work with a greater realism, somethings would be great to overcome.

Blowing up a flagship with a nuke while its shields are at 90% is retarded, but it happens, and yes thats due to the speed bug.

Any shield, using MV or not takes damage when below 50%, its part of BC, the damage begins to bleed through.

So again with the question, can the speed bug and the damage bleed through be overcome/scripted out?

The same goes for the "critical hit" when a projectile strikes the hull, i think this was introduced with nanofx, can a ship be made immune to this feature?

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2009, 05:56:16 PM »
Speed bug, no, not easily anyway. It would involve, somehow, tracking which vector it passed through, if the projectile isn't a phased projectiled, if it already hit the shield or not, etc, etc.