Author Topic: Is BC still good by todays standards?  (Read 1663 times)

Offline LordReserei

• Cookies: 10
    • Youtube Channel
Re: Is BC still good by todays standards?
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2009, 09:48:17 AM »
mods like the Super Mod 3.0 and KM 1.0 only work with the full retail game and the official 1.1 patch installed before hand, there's like 8 files over on bridgecommander.filefront.com that you can use with the demo but they're only skins.
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit|Asus M5A97 R2.0|Phenom II x6 1090T BE|24GB DDR3 1600MHz|XFX HD6870 1GB|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB/Seagate Barracuda 2TB|CM Elite 430|CM TX3 Evo

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2009, 03:38:07 PM »
The demo version appears to have been entirely "locked down", meaning, we can't even add py files (or add other pyc files!) without the game giving troubles.
And if you put in the normal executable, it also won't run.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline LordReserei

• Cookies: 10
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2009, 04:57:17 PM »
my two cents is just buy the game, no matter what the price or how old it is. It's possibly one of the best Star Trek games to have been created and the ammount of mods made to improve the gameplay by people such as Sneaker98, MLeo and other prestigious modders makes for hours upon hours of gameplay, never getting boring for a second at the possibilities of what can be done, and more things are done as time goes by.
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit|Asus M5A97 R2.0|Phenom II x6 1090T BE|24GB DDR3 1600MHz|XFX HD6870 1GB|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB/Seagate Barracuda 2TB|CM Elite 430|CM TX3 Evo

Offline ChronowerX_GT

• ChronowerX Productions - Founder
  • Cookies: 36
    • ChronowerX Productions
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2009, 04:59:58 PM »
mods like the Super Mod 3.0 and KM 1.0 only work with the full retail game and the official 1.1 patch installed before hand, there's like 8 files over on bridgecommander.filefront.com that you can use with the demo but they're only skins.

And the demo is by no means the quality BC is today.

Having a smoking section in a restaurant is kinda like having a peeing section in a pool...

Offline Aeries

• Cookies: 226
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2009, 05:06:47 PM »
Nope, not by any stretch of the imagination. :]

Offline Captain_April

• Cookies: 5
  • hardpointer - CXP
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2009, 11:00:43 PM »
Actually, it is possible to improve the graphics in the demo with new ones downloaded from BC files, it just takes a bit of effort and patience and time.  I could tell you how to do it, but its a difficult process and it may just be wiser to buy the full version.  There's really a lot more you can do with that, either way.  But if you want to know how to stick new ships into the demo, just let me know and I'll lend you a hand.

Star-Fury

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2009, 03:54:52 PM »
I downloaded the demo and to be honest it seemed just an ok game.
However having said that it is only a mod of a 2002 game and i have played many mods (especially for the total war and HL2 games) so i know how well good mods can improve an old game, and after looking around it looks like BC has plenty of good mods available.

So i am going to buy the game and see what all the fuss is about  :D

Thanks for all the replies and i have no doubt i will be back soon asking many questions  :lol: