Author Topic: How do you fight in this game?  (Read 1047 times)

hencook

How do you fight in this game?
« on: February 10, 2009, 07:31:24 AM »
I'm new at BC, and just getting through single player...

So let's say I'm trying to disable a ship's cannons. Do I:

A: Directly "Disable" that ship's cannons
B: Disable Shield Generator, and then disable cannons
C: "Destroy" ship until the shields are down, and then disable cannons
D: Disable the specific side shield that the cannons are behind, and then disable the cannons (which i have no idea how to do?)

Does boosting my sensor array help track cloaked vessels? If I'm already attacking a vessel that I can clearly see, can I reduce the sensor array to 1%? Can I get through the Captain difficulty without Manual Fire? Are compressors a type of phaser cannon?

Offline FarShot

• That guy with good ideas...
  • Cookies: 787
  • I'm actually making stuff! :D
Re: How do you fight in this game?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 07:41:13 AM »
In the top left corner there is a target list full of ships.  Obviously you know that if you click one of those ships, you target it.  If you click the ship's name again, a submenu appears, allowing you to target specific points on that ship, such as Bridge, Compressors (essentially alien phasers), and at that point, you don't need manual targeting (there's manual targeting and manual control, I think you mean where you use the mouse as a targeting reticule).

As for tactics, I just point and shoot  :P
Oh, and dropping sensor power to one basically only detects ships that are right next to you.  I usually don't fiddle with power things -- run and gun dude, run and gun.

I hope this has helped.
Ryan out.

hencook

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 07:46:55 AM »

As for tactics, I just point and shoot  :P
Oh, and dropping sensor power to one basically only detects ships that are right next to you.  I usually don't fiddle with power things -- run and gun dude, run and gun.

(reads the whole reply)
(head explodes)

Offline RCgothic

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 51
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 07:57:24 AM »
Personally I set sensors to 1% unless I'm targetting subsystems. Engines, sheilds and weapons all get boosted to 125%, which increases your sheild recharge, speed, manoeuvrebility and damage potential.

Offline Billz

• Cookies: 45
  • Doctor who? ;)
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 08:59:47 AM »
I normally go with targetting the impulse engines of enemy ships as that area tends to be a blind-spot for shields. Once I knock out the engines, they are a sitting target meaning that they can't do much with me now pounding on their sensors.

A ship is only a good weapon when its moving.

Stop it moving, and they are pwned.
Can't wait for 2014 to start.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 03:12:22 PM »
Unless you install a mod that uses Sensor power (such as the Inaccurate Phasers from FoundationTechnologies) then you can safely drop the sensor power to 1% (but not 0%!).

I tend to go after the Sensor array first, since if you take that out (so being disabled is enough), then the ship can't target anything.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

hencook

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 06:24:28 PM »
So I figured it out... The whole time I was playing this game, I was multitasking, giving orders to Diaz and not actually manually piloting the ship. Once I started manually piloting, the game became REAL easy... but it's a total pain when Diaz is fighting for you. Have any of you guys been successful at playing the game without switching over to manual flying?

Offline Billz

• Cookies: 45
  • Doctor who? ;)
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 06:29:26 PM »
Diaz and Felix are pretty much useless in a fight.

You are best off flying the ship and firing the weapons yourself.
Can't wait for 2014 to start.

Offline FarShot

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 08:30:11 PM »
Have any of you guys been successful at playing the game without switching over to manual flying?

I have.  I monitor them like a hawk.
If you want to do something real cool... Well...
http://bridgecommander.filefront.com/file/Shoot_Bridge_Commander_voice_profile_for_KM10;91090
You can edit that to your liking.  Here's mine that I use.  http://files.filefront.com/bridge+commanderxml/;13273003;/fileinfo.html
Note that the keys here are not mapped the same as KM or stock BC.  They're to my own configuration.  You can try to figure out exactly what each voice command does, or you can make your own.  To do that, use this - http://www.gameclubcentral.com/index.php?name=Downloads&file=details&id=429

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 01:12:28 PM »
May I just point out that you can't use that xml out of the box? The minus (-) in front of some nodes will prevent that.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline FarShot

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 06:53:05 PM »
I just copy and pasted that from the actual XML file that I'm using.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2009, 04:29:34 AM »
You copied from Internet Explorer? If you attach the actual file, then it will be fine to use.

The - are mostlikely for folding nodes, right?

Offline FarShot

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2009, 08:28:45 PM »
Edited so it doesn't take up half the page  :P.

Offline LordReserei

• Cookies: 10
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2009, 04:54:56 PM »
it depends on the ship your using and the ship/s your fighting. Each ship has it's strengths and weaknesses, it takes time to get to know them unless it's pointed out in the readme or TGL files. Either way, I usually have weapons, and engines to 125% while sensors at 50% depending on how far I distance myself from the enemy and how many enemies I'm fighting, boost it for when I have to scan the area for cloaked ships and shields usually set to 200%. Boost shields when needed or redistribute them when I'm running low on power.

If I'm outnumbered, shields failing and low on torpedoes, depending on the situation I send out a distress call for ships to help or I go to a point, enter silent running far out of sensor range of the enemy until enough repairs have been made, slowly intercept the target and end silent running when within torpedo range and fire quantum or photon depending on what I have although I try my best to have a few quantum torpedoes when the odds don't look good and I have to do the previously said.

_____

Either way, like I said, depending, I usually target the shields and then impulse before weapons, another thing I like to do when the shields are down is transport a torpedo or transport crew members off the ship....damn I love KM and oh so many mods which has made ST: BC more like the movies and tv shows. lol

(posts merged)
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit|Asus M5A97 R2.0|Phenom II x6 1090T BE|24GB DDR3 1600MHz|XFX HD6870 1GB|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB/Seagate Barracuda 2TB|CM Elite 430|CM TX3 Evo