Author Topic: Okay, what am I doing incorrectly?  (Read 1132 times)

Offline Billz

• Cookies: 45
  • Doctor who? ;)
Okay, what am I doing incorrectly?
« on: February 07, 2009, 07:20:34 PM »
Aside from the sound pack for DJs galaxy pack, any other sound pack I have tried to make since then has failed to work.

Just recently, I tried making a soundpack for this ship because it didnt come with its own sounds
http://bridgecommander.filefront.com/file/Kessok_Assault;28973

I also tried giving it reflective shields at a value of 2 using Sovies BCUT but even that doesnt work.

Heres the hardpoint, soundpack and plugin I made. I deleted the plugin that came with the ship because I like to make my own. I have all the required sounds.

I don't understand where its going wrong because I did one without any problems for DJ's Galaxy pack.

Whats even stranger is, in the hardpoint, there isn't a setfiresound entry for the disruptors on this ship, but they have sound in the game.

:?

PS: Ignore the (2) in the name of the plugin file. Vista doesnt like having two files with the same name on the desktop after they are copied there.
Can't wait for 2014 to start.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
Re: Okay, what am I doing incorrectly?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 06:33:23 AM »
In case of projectiles, they have their own, per projectile, launchsound. But still use the same soundpack mechanism.

What is your exact problem? The sounds and the reflective shielding aren't working?
For the latter, it only works for projectiles, not phasers.

My observations of the files you attached:
In the soundpack, "100" is (mostlikely) not a valid sound file. The 2 other sounds are stock sounds, so you don't need to remap them. Remapping also has the potential sideeffect of no sounds to be played for that mp3/wav, especially if there are 2 sounds with different names, or 2 sounds with the same name.
The Reflector has a 2% chance that it will reflect.

I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline Billz

• Doctor who? ;)
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 07:50:48 AM »
In case of projectiles, they have their own, per projectile, launchsound. But still use the same soundpack mechanism.

What is your exact problem? The sounds and the reflective shielding aren't working?
For the latter, it only works for projectiles, not phasers.

My observations of the files you attached:
In the soundpack, "100" is (mostlikely) not a valid sound file. The 2 other sounds are stock sounds, so you don't need to remap them. Remapping also has the potential sideeffect of no sounds to be played for that mp3/wav, especially if there are 2 sounds with different names, or 2 sounds with the same name.
The Reflector has a 2% chance that it will reflect.

So if I point it to sounds that are not shipped with the stock game, they will then work? If thats the case, then why didn't the sounds work before I made a soundpack, after I had altered the same names for the setfiresound entry in the hardpoint?

And if I want reflective shields to work, I should set them to a value greater then 2?

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 08:06:06 AM »
Well, you didn't specify what exactly didn't work, so I had to guess what was wrong.

The 2 is a percentage, 2 means 2 in a 100 chance that it will reflect on an impact.

If you want to point them to sounds that aren't part of the stock game (all the sounds I saw looked as if they were stock, they are Kessok sounds afterall) should have their own unique name, and be referenced by them in the hardpoint/projectile(s).
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline Billz

• Doctor who? ;)
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 08:18:42 AM »
Well, you didn't specify what exactly didn't work, so I had to guess what was wrong.

The 2 is a percentage, 2 means 2 in a 100 chance that it will reflect on an impact.

If you want to point them to sounds that aren't part of the stock game (all the sounds I saw looked as if they were stock, they are Kessok sounds afterall) should have their own unique name, and be referenced by them in the hardpoint/projectile(s).

The sounds I pointed them to are default sounds. I changed them from what they originally pointed to because I don't have the sounds I originally pointed the hardpoint entrys to.

You were correct by the way. The sounds for the phasers wont play at all when they are being used. The sound for the torpedo is completely different to the one I pointed to in the hardpoint and sound pack. 100 is not the sound location or name. It is how loud the sound is meant to be as in 100%.

Is conufsed  :?

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 08:44:42 AM »
The volume is the optionally 3rd argument, and it should be in decimal numbers from 0 (no sound) to 1 (100% volume) or even something higher.

Offline Billz

• Doctor who? ;)
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 08:49:04 AM »
Like I said, the soundpack was made using Sovies BCUT, which has the maximum set volume at 100% Not in the format of decimals (0 or 1).

So the sounds should work ifI change the 100 to 1 in NotePad or something that can read python scipts?

EDIT: The volume is already set to 1 for the phaser sounds so I still don't understand why they arn't working. If someone could edit the scripts, I could look at them and go from there.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 01:17:56 PM »
The first argument, text/string, is the path to the mp3/wav (relative to the BC directory of course), next is the name (also text/string) and the last is an optional decimal number.

There is another, fourth, optional argument, for things like attaching it to a mutator (defaults to the stock mutator).

But there is no code in the SoundDef that converts (or even attempts!) to use the first argument as the volume. It's always the file.