Author Topic: Bcut help  (Read 2180 times)

Offline dep88y

• Cookies: 0
Bcut help
« on: December 17, 2008, 07:48:12 PM »
I'm trying to learn as I fight this Nanofx problem. I download a ship, unzip it, open the folder and I see the Bcut blue circle as the file icon. I double click it, it unpacks. I don't find anything of the ship in the game or in the plug-in page( simple BCSMCS). I have stock ships and added ships and all that checked in the mutators; so where did it go?

Offline Billz

• Cookies: 45
  • Doctor who? ;)
Re: Bcut help
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 07:56:59 PM »
See my post in your other thread.
http://bc-central.net/forums/index.php/topic,4846.0.html

What I described there, also happens to ship mods that are in BCMI format (BCUT blue circle as the file icon).

Also, most ships don't come with plugins so when that happens, you need to make BCUT point to your Bridge Commander directory and make the plugin yourself. (Plugins are what makes ships avaliable in the ship menus in the game)

Also, I can't make the following any simpler to understand:
Uninstall BCMI from your computer
Uninstall BCMP from your computer
AND
Uninstall BCSMC from your computer

Those programs ARE NOT required to make BCUT work as BCUT is all of those programs rolled into one. They are obselete so for the love of God, get rid of them. If you mention them again, no cookies for you.  8)
Can't wait for 2014 to start.

Offline dep88y

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 08:04:11 PM »
 I uninstalled those already but I'm beginning to wonder if they would still work instead of Bcut. It seems Bcut is just an added step if you still have to copy and paste.

Offline Billz

• Doctor who? ;)
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 08:08:35 PM »
I uninstalled those already but I'm beginning to wonder if they would still work instead of Bcut. It seems Bcut is just an added step if you still have to copy and paste.

BCMI had features that didn't need to be there. (Why the transparency slider NanoByte?)
BCMP was chocked full of bugs and inefficent plugin building (Making menus after custom ships were installed make the game stop working properly and saving ship descriptions outside of plugins -TGL files- was messy and uneeded
BCSMC was a great tool but lacked certain features which allowed for proper full customization.

BCUT FTW!!!

Offline dep88y

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 08:14:42 PM »
Obviously I can't find these files in Bcut and I know its difficult without pictures but; is there any way you could tell me the title of the page in bcut I should looking at and what to do with it?

Offline Billz

• Doctor who? ;)
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 08:40:47 PM »
Pictures and insctructions

When you find 'data' scripts' and 'sfx' in unpacked, highlight, copy and paste the 'data' 'scripts' and 'sfx' folders in 'unpacked' to your main Bridge Commander directory.

Overwrite the folders when it asks you to. This is okay.

Offline dep88y

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 09:08:04 PM »
So what I was looking for was not in bcut itself. What do you do with the files in bcut unpacked after I copy and paste because I think they'll confuse me on the next ship? I tried installing a ship that I have installed before. I have the plug-in and all the files in bcut unpacked put into bridge commander but the game will not load when I select that ship; what did I do wrong?

Offline Billz

• Doctor who? ;)
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 09:57:10 PM »
So what I was looking for was not in bcut itself. What do you do with the files in bcut unpacked after I copy and paste because I think they'll confuse me on the next ship?

Go back to the unpacked folder in BCUT and delete the data scripts and sfx folders in the unpacked folder. Do this after copy and pasting them to the Bridge Commander Directory.

I tried installing a ship that I have installed before. I have the plug-in and all the files in bcut unpacked put into bridge commander but the game will not load when I select that ship; what did I do wrong?

Its very hard to help with these problems when I don't even know which ship you are talking about. Please post a link to the ship.
Don't try and explain which ship it is. I just want the link to it so that this can finally get sorted.

Offline dep88y

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 07:10:19 AM »
I found the problem with the ship. I needed to get some sleep first, this disease I have messes with mind when I'm tired. I try to live normally but I try too hard sometimes. Thanks for the pictures; I don't understand all the jargon and the pics help a lot. Those pics aren't in my copy of Bcut; I just looked. I would like to learn the words so I can understand better. Do you know of a resource I can use? Thanks again.

Offline Mario

• Senior Software Developer
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1706
  • Life is life
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 07:51:43 AM »
To AUTOMATE BCUT you need to show it where is it its "working" space. Is it THAT hard pressing on the automatic button in the Options section, for the love of God. And then repeating the BCMod extraction/unpacking/installation (what ever) process so there is NO copy & paste involved.
Acta, non verba.
aka USS Sovereign

Offline dep88y

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 08:32:26 AM »
I've never used bcut before! I don't understand all the language in the instructions thats why I asked for help. If you can't extend a little curtesy then don't respond. I have asked if anyone knows a resource where I can learn the jargon but no one has answered yet. As for your suggestion, how does it automatically install when the path you show is bcut and not the game?

Offline Mario

• Senior Software Developer
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1706
  • Life is life
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2008, 09:03:04 AM »
You didn't even read my message or pay any attention at all to it.

In the screenshot I showed you the button which you need to press, NOT the path on the screenshot.
Acta, non verba.
aka USS Sovereign

Offline dep88y

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2008, 09:49:22 AM »
Maybe I paid too close of attention. As I said before; pictures are important to me. I re-read the instructions and I found nothing to help a novice like me. I think I understand the path thing now. However, I tried it and the file wouldn't unpack because of a path error. That's what the little box said anyway. The instructions I have for bcut give detail on modding and almost nothing on installing. Am I missing an instruction file?

Offline tiqhud

• BCFiles File Poster
  • Cookies: 1067
  • San Francisco Shipyards (HPer) file manuiplater
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2008, 11:08:04 AM »
Acutally BCUT is simplicity itself, just Unzp-or-unrar [I forgot what compression it isin] Into a Temp folder, you get an exe file, Click on it to run it.

then you can Install it into your BC [main folder] OR you can Install it in any other folder you chose.
TiqHud
you sir, are unable to strike, the port or starboard parts of hull , of a bovine storage facility.
Canon , what people argue exists, that doesn't really  exist.
It is all the little details, that cause headaches.
"Never judge wealth with Money"
'Intelligence has Nothing to do with Politics'
it is Late, Do you know where your Towel is?

Offline dep88y

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2008, 11:38:26 AM »
After unzipping can bcut install directly to the game? I think thats what I tried to do when I got the path error. When I set the path to default which is bcut's unpack folder evrything goes fine. So, If I understand correctly; I have to unpack to bcut first then copy and paste into bridge commander.

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2008, 12:07:38 PM »
no - programs do not get installed into the game, as in putting their folders into BC's folder...  do not put BCUTs folders in BC's folder... 
youve got try and read a little more slowly and carefully and make a little more effort on your end - all the answers and information youre asking has already been given to you and i think youre confusing yourself even more as you go... 
in order to mod BC, you need to have basic generic computer knowledge and basic knowledge of how programs work, and the only way to do that is to go about teaching yourself and doing your own research and thru trial and error...  you cant expect everyone to walk you step by step on how to do the basic things...  we can only assist so much, but we cant do everything for you...  forgive me if this seems rude, but if you have no basic generic computer knowledge, you may want to reconsider modding your install at all...

Offline dep88y

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2008, 12:36:21 PM »
If you want to extract individual files from a BCMod do the following steps:
Press the See BCMod Contents button
Select files from the BCMod Files Contents list view
Click on the Unpack Selected button
This tab also supports drag & drop of BCMod files. So you can drag & drop a BCMod file and BCUT will unpack\install the specified file.
 This is all the instruction I have. Drag and drop from where to where? I see the contents in the box on that bc mod pack page but I can't drag them off of there. It's obvious to an idiot like me that instructions are missing. Also, last night someone told I should have someone walk me through it. Could it hurt to try once?

Offline El

• Master Hardpointer
  • Retired Administrator
  • Cookies: 123
  • Former Vice Admin
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2008, 12:46:00 PM »
dep88y, it seems to me that people here are doing there best to help you.
However its also apparent that they are assuming a certainly level of ability when it comes to general PC usage and knowledge that I'm not certain you currently have.

Modding is not for the faint of heart and while BCUT makes life much simpler than normal there is, however, still a minimum understanding required to use the program.

If you are wanting a 'step-by-step' guide on how to do things, you are unlikely to find that here I'm afraid.

For example in your last post, you mention drag & drop, which is assumed knowledge when it comes to modding, so no more specific instructions should be required.

I would refer you to Jimmy's post above, and recommend that you refer to somewhere like google initially to familiarise yourself with these types of things and how they work.

Cheers

El

Offline dep88y

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2008, 12:52:27 PM »
GOOGLE WHAT? Please, I beg you, give me a direction to go, a phrase, something. By the way, I've been installing ships for years. I never had problems until I got this new computer. I know how to drag and drop. I don't know how to use bcut. That's why I included the extent of the instructions that I have in a previous response. All I want to know is where to drag and drop from. It's not in the instructions. 

Offline El

• Master Hardpointer
  • Retired Administrator
  • Cookies: 123
  • Former Vice Admin
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2008, 12:53:58 PM »
Edit: Seeing as you edited your post....

The attitude will not help you. People have bent over backwards to be accommodating.
Also, if you know what drag and drop is, why do you need to ask the question?

If you never had problems until you got the new computer, then why is this BCUT's fault?

As to your last remark about it not being in the instructions; if you know about drag & drop, why does it need to be?

It seems to me that dragging and dropping your BCMod file onto it is what is implied here, so the answer is somewhat obvious, in that it depends where you've stored your BCMod files, no?

Please use a little common sense, and if you don't understand terminology, either google it or search for it on the forums.

El.