Author Topic: How did you learn  (Read 1398 times)

skipper

How did you learn
« on: October 13, 2008, 12:50:33 PM »
Hi all.  I dont no how to put this properly but i will give it a go.  To all modders and scripters (mainly scripters) How do you make your scripts and how did you learn.  Do you amke them from scratch or some times do you just copy and past ceartain scirpts from other scripts?. I no you use python as the scripting language but do you also use another programe  to make the scripts you make or is that all from you and no other programme involved.  Im not putting any pressure on you guys but as i think MLeo and USS Defient and sneaker and also nanoFX.  Thats just to mention a few but there also some other realy excellent scripters/modders out there but if i mention them all i would be here to Christmas hehe.

But  my question is how did you first start out scripting for Bridgecommander and how did you all learn on makeing these fantasic mods what are released and in the making?.

Thanks inadvance for any infomation

Offline DJ Curtis

• Ship Builder
  • Cookies: 1410
  • I make ships.
Re: How did you learn
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 01:00:52 PM »
As far a scripting goes, I learned by modifying existing scripts for other ships.  I started out by using one of LC's scripts as a base for one of my own ships, basically modifying it to suit the new ship.  These days I make all my scripts pretty well from scratch, though I am by no means an expert, and ship scripts are the only type that I do.

As to modeling, that's a big task, though not necessarily less complicated than learning to script.

Offline Aeries

• Cookies: 226
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 01:36:38 PM »
it's all trial and error buddy. :)

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 02:33:28 PM »
You open some file, you change something you have no idea what. And let BC blow up in your face.
Do this a couple of times, and suddenly you get pointed to this console thingy. Now combine that with some insight into programming, and learning the fact that BC is backed by Python, combine learning C++ with Python and you get a pretty good basis. Atleast it did for me, but I seem to have some "natural" talent in this business. But this was some time ago, and now I've learned a couple of other languages as well, which makes me an even more competent programmer.

One thing can't hurt (much), read and try. The console is your friend, it provides feedback directly on what you do, even better, this means that you can do everything that you can put on a single Python line! Which pretty much contains everything you need to do. One exception, you can't put do things that cross multiple blocks (such as if statements).
Think of it as one big, dynamic, function, and Python dutifully waits for you to enter the next line.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

skipper

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 03:26:57 PM »
hehe blow up in your face.

I no how to get the menu command on in BC and i no the cheats but how do you get the other stuff?.  Also the console menue it only shows half and you carnt scroll up or down how do you do that?.

Thanks.

Offline Aeries

• Cookies: 226
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 04:00:33 PM »
'other stuff'?

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 05:28:56 PM »
hehe blow up in your face.

I no how to get the menu command on in BC and i no the cheats but how do you get the other stuff?.  Also the console menue it only shows half and you carnt scroll up or down how do you do that?.

Thanks.
There is no scroll up or down. And it will always only cover half the screen. This is usefull for various things, for example, GUI experimentation is usually (by me anyway) done at the bottom of the screen, partly because the console covers the top.
I can also manipulate anything in BC (be it GUI, Ships, Bridges, etc, etc) through the console, so it's better than the cheats.

Type the following and confirm with Enter:
Code: [Select]
print "This should clarify the console"
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

skipper

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2008, 07:36:01 AM »
ohhh ive learnt something else in the console.  If you type error it comes up with your script or any script what got errors in it hehe. 

And also Edit() i can get up but not read the sdk yet on what it does hehe.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008, 01:26:10 PM »
ohhh ive learnt something else in the console.  If you type error it comes up with your script or any script what got errors in it hehe. 

And also Edit() i can get up but not read the sdk yet on what it does hehe.
Actually, if you type in error it will respond with an error.

Any Enter will "flush" the buffer to the screen, in other words, display any error that happend before you pressed Enter. ;)