Author Topic: "Star Trek: Century" trashed, "Star Trek: Crusade" is in!  (Read 3981 times)

Offline Dalek

• Cookies: 206
Re: "Star Trek: Century" trashed, "Star Trek: Crusade" is in!
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2008, 01:24:46 PM »
And since when did the navy have any colours? Its mostly blue and a sand dust colour.

I'm loving the dress uniforms. They are fantastic. But I still think you've got the colours wrong. They're just unappealing to look at. At least that purple has gone.

The Ent-J was in the 29th Century. DJ's Ent-F is set on 2397, the Century 2395.
"To live on as we have is to leave behind joy, and love, and companionship, because we know it to be transitory, of the moment. We know it will turn to ash. Only those whose lives are brief can imagine that love is eternal. You should embrace that remarkable illusion. It may be the greatest gift your race has ever received."

- Lorien

Offline undedavenger

• It's simple. I reek of awesomeness, and you don't.
  • Cookies: 14
    • Official Star Trek Century Myspace!
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2008, 01:38:45 PM »
Actually, my story, when it was about the Century-class Enterprise, showed that the Ent-F is launched in 2399. Just one of the reasons I decided to go with an original ship instead of the Century.

As stated before, the J is conjectural with it having been in a "prevented" timeline. Watch the episode. Technically, the future of Star Trek is an open book.

Here are some current us navy uniforms:

As for color in Navy uniforms, check out the last pic. Flight crews wear different-colored vests to differentiate their duties when servicing an aircraft. And Admirals, etc, still wear white dress uniforms and navy blue suits for normal duty.
"Books are not canon, only what you see on screen. Yes, even the horrible Voyager episode where they go past warp 10 and have crazy lizard babies."

Offline Dalek

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2008, 01:40:51 PM »
The last pic shows "bright" coloured people, not dull colours.
"To live on as we have is to leave behind joy, and love, and companionship, because we know it to be transitory, of the moment. We know it will turn to ash. Only those whose lives are brief can imagine that love is eternal. You should embrace that remarkable illusion. It may be the greatest gift your race has ever received."

- Lorien

Offline undedavenger

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2008, 01:41:49 PM »
BTW, the purple was just whimsy. I actually thought of a really far-out color for sciences, like an electric lime green. Glad I dropped that. They looked like a hippie painter threw up on them.
"Books are not canon, only what you see on screen. Yes, even the horrible Voyager episode where they go past warp 10 and have crazy lizard babies."

Offline undedavenger

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2008, 01:42:40 PM »
Yeah, the bright colors are for visibility. Not much of a problem in Star Trek, even in the flight deck.

Offline undedavenger

« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2008, 01:45:59 PM »
With regard to my philosophy on the commbadge, etc, here is an excerpt from my original thread.

"The logo background depicts a synergy, the joining together of two opposites, such as war and peaceful exploration, as these stories will reflect. They are offset by a small amount, showing how close the two opposites come to completion of the whole. When joined together, they would form an infinite loop, a symbol of the infinite possibilities of such compromises. Not unlike the symbolism of the Vulcan IDIC symbol (Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations).

I am still a little iffy on the symbol however, and am considering different background images behind the Delta for different divisions. Maybe a DNA helix for sciences, a cross or cauduceus for medical, a gear or something for operations. However, the round design is meant to reflect the streamlined design themes of the series, which is why I liked the Century Class so much in the first place. I am of the opinion that as technology advances, things get more streamlined. With that line of thinking, the Sovereign class was perfect, I felt. Streamlined, but not overly unthreatening like the Galaxy Class.

On the uniforms, first of all I LIKED the TMP uniforms. They needed to be slightly less pajama-like, and they were bland as bland can be, but the basic idea was not too bad. (Incidentally, I am not like a lot of folks, apparently, as TMP is one of my favorite Trek films, only outranked by ST6 and Insurrection) The uniforms have a little of every design in them. While they may look a little like the TMP uniforms, they have the color style of the 24th century series, and the insignia on the shoulder and sleeves were inspired by the ST2-ST6 uniforms. However, the bar shape of the insignia logos is taken from Enterprise and TMP. The belt is a combination of the ST2-ST6 era uniform belt and the belt on Kirk's light duty tunic from TOS. However, it is only visible in front and back, like TMP."

Offline Dalek

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2008, 02:02:16 PM »
I know you said that the future of Star Trek is an open book but think about it. Humans are happy go lucky. Being carved up, blown up, assimilated and god knows what else, they will always have bright colours. The FC uniform onwards is the best uniform to date because of the lack of colour but the colour that there is isn't so boring that you can't be arsed to look at it. You need to see something. The Motion Picture completetly threw me off track. They really were pajama-ry and crap and the same colour.

- Lorien

Offline undedavenger

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2008, 02:17:57 PM »
That's the point. Realistically, humans (or any other race) would be forever changed by the events you listed. The fact that they do not is one of the prime reasons that the Trek franchise got stale. Humans are NOT happy-go-lucky. Just look at the changes in America after 9/11. We have become more paranoid, more bleak. The same thing has happened in other countries. Bad things have bad effects on humans. Period. Individual people can be happy-go-lucky, but people as a group are usually rather negative. Trek is an idealized future, but it has grown into a boring and formulaic future. The old, unchanging starfleet is boring...

Consider what Ruafo said in Insurrection: "Federation support. Federation procedures. Federation rules. Look in the mirror, Admiral. The Federation is old. In the past 24 months, they've been challenged by every major power in the quadrant: the Borg, the Cardassians, the Dominion. They all smell the scent of death on the Federation."

Spoken by a madman, but with a hard ring of truth. For Trek to be refreshed, the Federation in the stories will need to be refreshed, not rehashed. Something our good Federation President Picard will be implementing in ST: Crusade.

Offline Dalek

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2008, 02:35:53 PM »
Federation...President...Picard? No. Picard would never allow that to happen. He wouldn't like a desk.

- Lorien

Offline undedavenger

« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2008, 02:49:34 PM »
Really? The same Picard that allowed his Exec to keep him from going on away missions? The same Picard that holes himself up in that ready-room instead of being on the bridge? I think it suits the guy. What is the President if not the Captain of the state? Who better to lead? We know he might not ever be an Admiral, because of his conversation with Kirk in Generations. "All good things..", even though a fictional future, shows that he became an ambassador. Trust me, he doesn't actively seek the office, he has to take it.

"Be not afraid of greatness; some are born great, some achieve greatness, and others have greatness thrust upon them." ~William Shakespeare

Offline tiqhud

• BCFiles File Poster
  • Cookies: 1067
  • San Francisco Shipyards (HPer) file manuiplater
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2008, 03:10:19 PM »
I do like under-s uniforms thi.
cookie
TiqHud
you sir, are unable to strike, the port or starboard parts of hull , of a bovine storage facility.
Canon , what people argue exists, that doesn't really  exist.
It is all the little details, that cause headaches.
"Never judge wealth with Money"
'Intelligence has Nothing to do with Politics'
it is Late, Do you know where your Towel is?

Offline Dalek

« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2008, 08:29:47 AM »
All the President does is sit behind a desk, reading reports and signing off for the next batch of Orion Whiskey. The captain, commands a crew and a ship, explores incredible things in the depths of space and gets permission to say "Step on it". Picard always wanted to explore, to understand the galaxy. The only reason he went into his ready room was probably because he didn't just want to sit on the bridge staring at a couple of stars fly past. He went down on his own missions because he wanted fun. I wouldn't exactly like to be cooped up on the bridge while my XO was running around making negotiations to end a 500 year civil war.

- Lorien

Offline undedavenger

« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2008, 09:55:24 AM »
Somewhat valid points, to be sure. However, who ever said THIS President was just going to sit behind a desk? Ever watch Air Force One with Harrison Ford? Have you read any of the recent TNG Relaunch books? Picard married Beverly and they are expecting a child. Maybe Picard has changed. Remember what I said about the problem with Star Trek being that people never change? Besides, Picard is getting old, and I plan on making sure that you are more interested in the new captain of the new Enterprise. Do you watch TNG and wonder where Spock is, or worry that he's spending too much time behind a desk?

Offline Dalek

« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2008, 10:03:09 AM »
Strangely enough, I know where Spock is for the first 5 seasons. He's on Romulus starting up that little rebellion thingy he has going. And he returns to it as well.

- Lorien

Offline undedavenger

« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2008, 09:48:36 PM »
Just wait and see. I'll do my best to make sure you're not disappointed.

Offline undedavenger

« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2008, 02:45:30 AM »
Well, a massive hard drive crash has struck, due to a faulty software update from my computer's manufacturer, HP! Completely fritzed my device software, first my CD and floppy drives, then my ethernet card, then my backup drive, then my partition, then started shutting down my main hard disk. Had to format and reinstall Windows. And stupidly, I did not back up all of my writing and drawings on CD! I am officially the world's biggest idiot!

So, the fanfic is postponed for a while, as I really don;t have the energy to re-tread lost ground right now. I will be amusing myself in the meantime with recreating the uniforms. Now is a good time for constructive suggestions, lol. I'm a blank slate, here.

Offline undedavenger

« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2009, 02:21:53 AM »
Okay, well. New computer, and I'm about halfway through the initial story again. And honestly, I changed quite a bit of it. I think it's better and more solid. Hopefully some updates soon.

Offline undedavenger

« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2009, 08:06:59 PM »
Some rather big adjustments to the story now, since JJ couldn't leave the prime universe alone, either. Since the romulans were playing a big part in the story, the destruction of Romulus has changed a large aspect of the story. This will never get done....

Offline Vanguard

• Cookies: 5
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2009, 05:53:32 PM »
Geesh, your making Picard the president, you stories already in a universe of it's own. Go ahead and ignore the whole Romulusgettingdestroyedbyasupernova plot device.

Most don't consider it canon anyway...

Also, i must say, on the note of the Picard Presidency, that most people devote their lives to becoming the president, of this planet... Imagine how much dedication you would have to attain presidency over hundred's of planets. Picard simply doesn't have the years left in him, however it's your story, good luck with it =).

On a side note... I always loved the DS9/VOY uniforms... The FC uniforms... Were cool at first... But they just look too dull. Like today's military...

Offline undedavenger

« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2009, 10:41:23 AM »
Also, i must say, on the note of the Picard Presidency, that most people devote their lives to becoming the president, of this planet... Imagine how much dedication you would have to attain presidency over hundred's of planets. Picard simply doesn't have the years left in him, however it's your story, good luck with it =).

Ever hear of Dwight Eisenhower? Andrew Jackson? George Washington? Ulysses Grant? All career military men who ran for President without much previous political experience.

As for Picard, read the "Countdown" comics and the "Destiny" series of novels. He marries Beverly, has a child, and retires to become an Ambassador. I know they're not considered "canon", but they're the only way we're gonna get any "Prime Universe" stories now.

Picard is 76 in the latest of the Trek books. Leonard McCoy lived to at least twice that age, and was still an active Admiral! He's got plenty of time!