Author Topic: Ship use permissions  (Read 1873 times)

Jernej

Ship use permissions
« on: September 23, 2008, 05:54:37 PM »
This is not intended to be mistaken with the "master permissions thread", but instead is something between rant and displeasure about the modders's readme and usage information included with the mods.

I noticed a general lack of contact information, some mods just come with credits and NO email contact whatsoever, so how am i supposed to contact ship makers if i'd like to ask a question? there is also no usage info in the readme, such as if i may include the mod with another mod pack and redistribute it or something in that manner (no modifying of the model, i mean just distributing the files), so i'd like to know what are you guys opinions on this? do you permit others to redistribute your work as part of for example KB/M or another mod pack (as long as proper credit is given ofcourse)?

Please discuss your views / opinions.

Offline FourChan

• Admiral Noel Vermillion
  • Cookies: 4
  • Starfleet Technologies Development Center
    • Twitter Four Channel
Re: Ship use permissions
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 08:43:30 PM »
Well most of the time the people that release the ships/mods use this site as well so most of the time an email address is sorta off question when you can contact them here regularly

Offline DJ Curtis

• Ship Builder
  • Cookies: 1410
  • I make ships.
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 10:47:23 PM »
Some of us don't want to be contacted. 8) :D

On a more serious note... you should never, ever re-release an author's work in any way without securing their explicit and specific permission first.  Some authors allow pretty much anything, but that info is usually communicated in a readme.  I, for example, prefer to retain strict control over who may modify my work, so I make no mention of my policy, other than to contact me.

Offline FourChan

• Admiral Noel Vermillion
  • Cookies: 4
  • Starfleet Technologies Development Center
    • Twitter Four Channel
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 01:13:03 AM »
In short words, you can modify any works you see but you CANT Release it without contacting the author/and or creator of the ship/weapon/hp/ etc. For personal use have all go at it, but thats PERSONAL only :P

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 07:47:50 AM »
plus it is just polite to at least run it by someone, if you use something of theirs, to check to make sure they are cool with it...  or, at least make really good efforts to try and get in touch with them...  of course, alot of people are long gone over the years and just might not be able to be contacted - but at least people should really try hard to do get in touch with them at first anyway...

Jernej

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 12:44:33 PM »
I think you guys missed the point, i'm not asking to modify the files, i'm asking what modelers think about re-distributing the files (intact, no modification) as a part of a mod pack or another mod or something in that manner.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 01:31:56 PM »
It would still be considered polite to ask.

Especially since you can just add another ship plugin file and overwrite the original file, and then use SDT to change the textures, while still including the original model, without modification. ;)
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Jernej

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 03:17:15 PM »
It would still be considered polite to ask.

Especially since you can just add another ship plugin file and overwrite the original file, and then use SDT to change the textures, while still including the original model, without modification. ;)

I have no problem with asking, but how do you ask a person who doesn't include any information that could be used to contact them?

Offline Kirk

• Cookies: 139
    • My Released Mods
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 03:19:15 PM »
You search and search and search until you've exhausted all possibilities. You try as hard as you can to contact these people.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 03:21:14 PM »
Most people either include an email address.
Or are active at one of the usual forums, if they have neither an email address, or can't be found on a forum, then mostlikely the author doesn't want others to redistribute their mods.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Jernej

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2008, 04:52:02 PM »
This is going to be pretty hard to achieve with the list of modders and mods on my "need" list, but i'll try to do my best!

So, sorry for all the spam that i might send you all about this in the future :)

Offline ChronowerX_GT

• ChronowerX Productions - Founder
  • Cookies: 36
    • ChronowerX Productions
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2008, 05:14:51 PM »
I say,

1. Look for email or IM.
2. Search the modding forums or POTD section.
3. Then mod it if you have tried everything and can't contact them. Chances are if you can't contact them some way then there not active in BC anymore.

or if you do find them and they don't respond then:
1. Give it a week
2. Try them again.
3. Give it a fortnight
4. No response then mod it.

This is just my personal opinion though. But the bottom line in my book is... if you've tried everything to contact them and you get no reply... then mod it.

Having a smoking section in a restaurant is kinda like having a peeing section in a pool...

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2008, 05:24:26 PM »
Could you define: "then mod it"?

As in, steal it? Or "borrow" it? Or "just put it in"?

Offline ChronowerX_GT

• ChronowerX Productions
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2008, 05:34:38 PM »
Go through with what you wanted to do with it in the first place. But that's after trying every possible way to contact the author.

Having a smoking section in a restaurant is kinda like having a peeing section in a pool...

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2008, 06:13:33 PM »
I'm not sure you will make many friends with that. :S

Offline ChronowerX_GT

• ChronowerX Productions
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2008, 09:34:46 AM »
Lol, i've got plenty of friends thanks. But most of the things I mod are new so I can always get hold of the author.

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2008, 10:26:43 AM »
This is going to be pretty hard to achieve with the list of modders and mods on my "need" list, but i'll try to do my best!

So, sorry for all the spam that i might send you all about this in the future :)

no worries - if youre absolutely unsure and there is no info and you cant find anything at all, you can always make a thread in this forum asking if anyone else might know about the mod's author in question...  some of us are still left from the oldschool days and might remember who did what...  then again, some of us can barely remember last month, let alone some years ago lol j/k :P