Author Topic: Bridge Commander - Looking Back  (Read 2590 times)

Offline Trekky0623

• Cookies: 1
Bridge Commander - Looking Back
« on: September 23, 2008, 10:53:05 PM »
What, in your opinion, has made Bridge Commander last as long as it has? (Released early 2002)

For me, I believe it's BC's easy ability to mod.

Offline DJ Curtis

• Ship Builder
  • Cookies: 1410
  • I make ships.
Re: Bridge Commander - Looking Back
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 10:56:42 PM »
I'd have to say - The protective polymer coating of the CD's.

Oh yeah, and the local crew.  Longstanding members both present and those now absent.

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 07:42:22 AM »
i think it is also the fact that it is easy to mod and can be taken so much further than ever thought, when it was released...  and the fact it contains bridges and such the player can play on, really adds to its appeal and makes it unique... 
and of course, i think it is also the long long history of it, all the people that have been involved, all the most amazing modders, and the community itself, and all thats happened...
it is all just so addicting lol   the past 5 years for me seems like such a fast blur... 

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 01:42:14 PM »
Being a game that is basicly a "mod" in itself.
A game where you can program, but not be a game about programming.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline ECGadget

• aka Intercity125
  • Webmaster
  • Cookies: 260
  • Sweet Niblets!
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 02:42:25 PM »
I've never actually thought about it... I suppose it's because of it flexibility and addition levels!

Offline moed

• Cookies: 57
  • Star Trekus Fanaticus
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 03:03:47 PM »
Agreed on all of the above...

And would like to also add that the game design, controls, perspectives of combat, and bottom line - true Star Trek feel overall just make for an outstanding game.

PJCham

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 03:18:11 PM »
The ability to actually sit (and now walk around) the 3D bridge of a Trek starship to command an NPC crew. Taking command of bridge and crew ... something I'd otherwise only found in Silent Hunter's submarine simulation.

Offline ChronowerX_GT

• ChronowerX Productions - Founder
  • Cookies: 36
    • ChronowerX Productions
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 03:59:25 PM »

it is all just so addicting lol   the past 5 years for me seems like such a fast blur... 

It's actually 6 years now.

I think KM had a big deal with it. Atleast to the average user on BC Files.

For me it was just commaning the star ship. I actually bought a load of old Windows XP Magazine disks in late 2006 from a car boot sale for ?1 and found a demo for BC and was amazed lol. Even with it's poor gfx.

Then I thought i'd buy it of ebay for about ?4 and then found out it was ?40 lol (yeah i was shocked. A 4 year old game for ?40).

Then you can imagine my excitment when I stumbled accross BC Files :D Yeah I hit the jackpot.

After playing and downloading the mods, I think joined BCC in (i think) november 2007 and started viewing some threads like the CGI Voyager and shortly after started my first retexture.... The USS Clandestine.

Now another year later i've released 1 ship, 1 planet and a couple of guides. :D and I don't plan on going away any time soon.

Sorry for giving my whole BC life story lol. Just kinda led into that.

Having a smoking section in a restaurant is kinda like having a peeing section in a pool...

Offline JimmyB76

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2008, 07:44:33 AM »
the best thing about BC is the fact that there are modders to continue the life going...  of course, after the 6 years it has been out, there arent as many as there were in its first 3 or 4, but so long as there are people that are fans of the game, and those with skills to enhance it and be creative, the community keeps going on :)
it never ceases to amaze me when someone comes out with something so incredibly cool that clearly took alot of time, effort, and skill...  i wish i had such skills lol  every mod, even if it seems very slight or "little", adds to the whole realm...

Offline ChronowerX_GT

• ChronowerX Productions
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2008, 09:27:15 AM »
There quite a few modders that are new to the scene. I only joined last year. There's Aeries with the Mirtha, Dalek, Fourchan and then of course theres still Lint, McCoy and DJ.

But personally I think the mods released now have a lot more time and effort put in than the old ones.

Having a smoking section in a restaurant is kinda like having a peeing section in a pool...

Offline JimmyB76

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2008, 09:44:16 AM »
There quite a few modders that are new to the scene. I only joined last year. There's Aeries with the Mirtha, Dalek, Fourchan and then of course theres still Lint, McCoy and DJ.
and many more as well :)  in the last year or two or so, there has been a steady increase of up and coming modders... all those cats for example, and as well as others like Rob Archer, USS Frontier, SMBW, cordanilus, Asylum, Dave975, Nighthawk, the DQP team, etc etc - there are many more i could mention, the list goes on and on :) 

Offline ChronowerX_GT

• ChronowerX Productions
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2008, 12:38:10 PM »
I'm guessing many of them will mod for Excal aswell.

I know people have said that BC will still go on after Excal is released but if it's as good as it looks so far then personally I doubt that ppl would play BC over Excal unless they had a low spec PC. After all Excal is made by BC modders so it's like Bridge Commander 2

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2008, 01:13:17 PM »
But personally I think the mods released now have a lot more time and effort put in than the old ones.
There are better tools now, the requirements are better (computers have become more powerfull, so now you don't have to optimize your models as they had to do in the olden days), you (new guys and gals) share in the experience of the old modders.

And above all else, we, old people, had to scout out BC, to find it's limits, to broke them, and rediscovered them.

So, no, we did not put "a lot of time and effort", we put gigantic amounts of time and effort in our work.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline Dalek

• Cookies: 206
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2008, 01:20:01 PM »
It's been quite a riot hasn't it? I fail to see Excalibur taking from BC staright away, the transtition would take awhile. Think about the SG pack, BSG pack and loads of other mods that can't get stuffed straight away into Excalibur!

But yeah, life is cool with BC.
"To live on as we have is to leave behind joy, and love, and companionship, because we know it to be transitory, of the moment. We know it will turn to ash. Only those whose lives are brief can imagine that love is eternal. You should embrace that remarkable illusion. It may be the greatest gift your race has ever received."

- Lorien

Offline JimmyB76

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2008, 01:20:53 PM »
There are better tools now, the requirements are better (computers have become more powerfull, so now you don't have to optimize your models as they had to do in the olden days), you (new guys and gals) share in the experience of the old modders.

And above all else, we, old people, had to scout out BC, to find it's limits, to broke them, and rediscovered them.

So, no, we did not put "a lot of time and effort", we put gigantic amounts of time and effort in our work.
couldnt have said it better myself... 

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2008, 01:25:49 PM »
It's been quite a riot hasn't it? I fail to see Excalibur taking from BC staright away, the transtition would take awhile. Think about the SG pack, BSG pack and loads of other mods that can't get stuffed straight away into Excalibur!

Except that all (or atleast most) of the people working on it are originally from BC (myself included).
I still work on more than just Excalibur.

But still, we like BC, so you can expect to just right back with Foundation and mutators. ;)
Aside from different names and semantics and out of the box features, I think, from a modding perspective, it will feel like BC. It won't be BC, and yet, have a homely feel to it.

Offline Dalek

• Cookies: 206
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2008, 01:34:13 PM »

Except that all (or atleast most) of the people working on it are originally from BC (myself included).
I still work on more than just Excalibur.

But still, we like BC, so you can expect to just right back with Foundation and mutators. ;)
Aside from different names and semantics and out of the box features, I think, from a modding perspective, it will feel like BC. It won't be BC, and yet, have a homely feel to it.

I certainly hope so. Ah, bliss. :)
"To live on as we have is to leave behind joy, and love, and companionship, because we know it to be transitory, of the moment. We know it will turn to ash. Only those whose lives are brief can imagine that love is eternal. You should embrace that remarkable illusion. It may be the greatest gift your race has ever received."

- Lorien

Offline DJ Curtis

• Ship Builder
  • Cookies: 1410
  • I make ships.
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2008, 07:41:12 PM »
man, I remember when I started lurking at BCU in 2002.  The talent that was around then... it just blows my mind.  The funny part is that those people are by in large still around, but inactive.  It seems to me that there have really been three generations of modders for this game.  I would put myself in the second generation, and I think that the third is probably just a few months away from really hitting its stride, or is about to.  Look at the work of people like Wiley.  For me, that guy really personifies the "third" generation.  Just incredible work.

Offline Bren

• DS9FX Team
  • Cookies: 33
  • 6EQUJ5
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2008, 12:37:32 PM »
A large proportion of the original BCN clientel in late 2001 were immigrants from KlingonAcademy.com, myself included. I'd been hanging out at KA.com since 1999, but hadn't actually found the game for sale (on a day trip to Gibraltar, of all places) until a few months before John Addison (KA.com admin) set up BCN.

I remember the excitement over the release of the game, a measure of disillusionment among die-hard KA fans over the comparitive shallowness of BC, and the anticipation that formed with each new modding breakthrough... great days. We had only bare hints of what was possible with the engine. Many of the supposed "Impossibilities", MVAM, animated textures, new bridges, in-depth navigation, ordering your allies, etc... were conquered and are now taken as fact.

John Addison, finding the two sites too much of a strain, and finding his personal tastes still resided with KA, handed BCN over to Raven Night, who renamed it to BCU, in line with the Star Trek Gaming Universe sites he was involved in.

There was a time, right after Dasher42 released the first foundation, when Pneumonic81 was releasing 3 ships a day. The scripting scene took about a year to mature enough to start changing the behaviour of the game. Foundation was an early victory, but the scripting forum started to pick up gradually. After a while, it was the place I visited most eagerly - we had NanoFX incoming, Apollo working on the ill-fated ATP:Dimensions, a work mirrored in Rob Archer's current "New Fronteir" (Where have those boards gone, actually? They're gone from BCS...), and various nips and tucks to the game that made it more fun than ever to play.

About 2 years ago, after something of a golden age, things started to lull. ATP:Dimensions' cancellation hit the community hard, and we lost a lot of good people to apathy. At the same time, Raven was having trouble managing BCU - with the login system a particular annoyance to the patrons.

So, in a case of bittersweet timing, BCU went down for a few weeks shortly after this board came online. The community didn't have much choice, and flocked here in their thousands... I still shed a tear when I look at BCU's empty boards... (as of right now, I can't access the forums, and the front page is more or less dead)

Defiant had, in relative silence, been beavering away at a modpack called Kobayashi Maru. Hubbub began building about the 1.0 release, so I checked out the 0.9 version, and was stunned. With the release of 1.0, nearly all issues I'd had with 0.9 were fixed or improved upon, and it proved to be the most popular mod since foundation itself (if I'm not mistaken!!). It meant for Bridge Commander, a second wind, and fueled the active and healthy community you see around you today.

I know I'm leaving stuff out, but the article could be three times as long and still leave stuff out!

I love this community. Applaud yourselves, you're kind, helpful, smart, considerate and talented people. I am glad to have lurked among you for so many years.

Kudos to Trekky for posting this topic, it's very noble. Thanks, man (or woman!).
"The sky calls to us, if we do not destroy ourselves, we will, one day, venture to the stars." - Carl Sagan

Klingon Academy now works on XP/Vista/Win 7 thanks to one dude's patches, click here for details. I highly recommend it!

Offline Captain_April

• Cookies: 5
  • hardpointer - CXP
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2008, 09:28:26 PM »
I guess that BC really appealed to me because, like many have said, it offers you COMMAND of a starship, from the bridge.

Star Trek Bridge Commander first touched my life around March 2007. I had been looking for a game that put you in the Captain's chair, (I had no idea how many games like that that have been made), and so I first bought tactical assault for the DS, and that kept me entertained for about three months, give or take a few.  Eventually, because of the two-dimensional movement and limit of 4 ships in one Skirmish game, the game got boring and I could face the exact same scenario a thousand times.  so, I googled what I had been looking for :).  I found this game called Starfleet Command I and II, downloaded the demos, and played with that for a little while, but it still didn't offer the zeal I was trying to find. 

Anyway, to cut to the chase, I was looking at SFC III on ebay one day, then I saw a comment mentioning the vast supperiority of Bridge Commander.  I googled that, and discovered the demo.  I spent about six months with that, during which time I had figured out how to get many of the MOD ship models on a site called BCF into the game, and messing with hardpoints, allowing me to use many different sets of ships in the game, of course, the HPs weren't perfectly alligned, but it was fun anyway.  (I think I had made about 8 groups of 3 ships for the game, a Nemesis pack, a TNG pack, a VOY pack, A DS9 pack (with the station), a TMP pack, a TOS pack, and a Doomsday Machine pack, that I would copy and paste into the BC demo directory and then play for a while before using a different ship).
So, in August, I decided to buy BC.  shortly afterward, I got myself KM 1.0 and MPE, and I learned about hardpointing.  a year later, I had finished my first MOD, and now, I'm here, telling this story:

It all started in March, 2007... :lol:
No, I wouldn't torture you all with my ruminations and memoirs again.
Thanks for your time,
who's our next contestant?