Author Topic: Beta Centauri Rebuild  (Read 1122 times)

Offline Captain_Licard

• [RETIRED]
  • Cookies: 12
  • Captain Tiberius Flynn
Beta Centauri Rebuild
« on: July 27, 2010, 04:54:55 PM »
Yes, as the name implies, im rebuilding the beta centauri. Credit goes to Bones for the parts from the krakow, the rest is by me. Comment away
the blueish parts on the old model are mesh errors that are lacking in the new model. the reason for the mesh errors from the first one is because that was based of the stock model. The saucer on the new one is by me.
Star Trek Collision

Offline Bones

• Cookies: 639
  • SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
Re: Beta Centauri Rebuild
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 05:08:57 PM »
well as long as you use my textures then credits go to me but the model isn't mine ;) credit Wicked Zombie for that ;)

Offline Captain_Licard

• [RETIRED]
  • Captain Tiberius Flynn
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 05:14:31 PM »
okay, i might use your textures,and i give credit now to WZ, but heres the problem. I can model, Im getting better at hping, I can even script in menu entries, BUT I STILL DONT HAVE THE SLIGHTEST CLUE ON HOW TO TEXTURE IN GMAX!!! the method I saw for gmax was for a low poly box, my models are almost always above 10k polies and the uvw unwrap screen looks like a mess. This is why I always ask someone to do the textures for me because I cant. is there some secret sauce or something?
Star Trek Collision

Offline Locke

• Cookies: 36
  • Cannot find REALITY.SYS - Universe Halted
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 06:27:10 PM »
is there some secret sauce or something?

Lots of brain-bashing on the keyboard.

Instead of unwrapping and then trying to match the textures to the unwrap, I tend to create the textures and then adjust the unwrap to fit the textures.  Sort of like stretching a sheet of rubber over a clay model, or something.  I draw the image on the "sheet" (mostly guessing on size and whatnot) and then when I start placing it on the "clay" I stretch it to fit.  It's imperfect, but when working with Gmax, you're sort of stuck with imperfection.  You can also take screenshots of the orthographic views of an object (such as an overhead view of the saucer) and then paint over that.

Offline Captain_Licard

• [RETIRED]
  • Captain Tiberius Flynn
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 06:37:50 PM »
thanks for the advice, im gonna try that when the models done
Star Trek Collision

Offline Captain_Licard

• [RETIRED]
  • Captain Tiberius Flynn
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 07:08:47 PM »
heres an update, thickened the saucer and added the bridge and impulse engines.
Star Trek Collision

Offline Captain_Licard

• [RETIRED]
  • Captain Tiberius Flynn
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 07:31:58 PM »
quick update, re-positioned and re-scaled the nacceles.
Star Trek Collision

Offline WileyCoyote

• The Other Ship Builder
  • Cookies: 1219
  • Awesome-sauce factory owner
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 09:27:56 PM »
It looks like a scout-sovereign. Did you intend this ship to be as flat as it is?
Please visit my Deviantart page at www.trekmodeler.deviantart.com.

My website is up! Download my ships here: http://www.michaelwileyart.com

Offline Captain_Licard

• [RETIRED]
  • Captain Tiberius Flynn
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 12:20:53 PM »
It is more of a destroyer-scout, it is not as tall to give it a more sleek appearance. Ive also come up with a name:

U.S.S. StingRay NCC-98734
Star Trek Collision

Offline Captain_Licard

• [RETIRED]
  • Captain Tiberius Flynn
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2010, 09:32:25 PM »
first attempt at texturing, it actually looks kinda cool if you ignore the reg and the white spots and you look at it at an angle.
Star Trek Collision

Offline Maxloef

• STBC Aftermath Co Founder
  • Cookies: 61
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2010, 05:52:26 AM »
first attempt at texturing, it actually looks kinda cool if you ignore the reg and the white spots and you look at it at an angle.

NO...you didnt make the texture....thats from one of Dj's ships if im not mistaken...

secondly, make ur own texture simple reason is that the texture doesnt fit on the model, and it never will you need to UV Map it and then texture it urself, will look allot better.

Offline Bones

• Cookies: 639
  • SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2010, 06:50:34 AM »
NO...you didnt make the texture....thats from one of Dj's ships if im not mistaken...

secondly, make ur own texture simple reason is that the texture doesnt fit on the model, and it never will you need to UV Map it and then texture it urself, will look allot better.

No DJ's textures, mine ;) It's from Krakow class and permission was given :P

tho I have to agree, it's way too distorted ATM... Krakow's saucer is perfect circle while this one is rounded-rectangular like shape into which this texture will never fit nicely... You'll have to draw new ones from scratch, I can provide you with escape pods, transporter/sensors pads and hull plating / aztecs, the rest is your imagination and vector-drawing in PS :P

Offline EDD_7

• Cookies: 24
  • Also Known As Mr_7 :P
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2010, 06:51:39 AM »

I agree with Maxleof, and i'll add my own bit of friendly advice in :P.

If you've never textured before, think about retexturing a ship. Look at how the UV map is set out and develop you own style of texturing. Then you'll start finding new ways of texturing. Once you happy you can retexture, try to get used to UV mapping your own ships then add your style of textures to it. Takes time to learn but in the end, you'll be able to texture all you models. My problem is UV mapping, haven't really got any software which i'm comfortable with for that.

:) just give it a go and you may be suprised what the result is

Offline Captain_Licard

• [RETIRED]
  • Captain Tiberius Flynn
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2010, 08:25:45 AM »
thanks for the advice, and bones, I would appreciate a set of base materials. The mesh totals to just above 4.8k polies so its not to bad, but, it still is going to take awhile.
Star Trek Collision

Offline Locke

• Cookies: 36
  • Cannot find REALITY.SYS - Universe Halted
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2010, 01:00:37 PM »
Here's a method of creating accurate textures that I came up with.  I'm sure it isn't unique, since I'm using ideas I gathered from many sources, but the process is fairly good for accuracy.

I'll be creating a texture background for the top of the saucer on my Regal class.  The first thing to know is that having your ship divided into several parts (saucer top and bottom, engineering hull left and right, warp nacelles and pylons, etc.) is essential for this to work correctly.

1. Select only the top of the saucer.  You can work each part of the ship just the same way, depending on where the camera goes in the next few steps.  Make a copy of the part you are working with and label it something different.  Hide all other parts.

2. In the Top view, create a Free Camera that looks down.  If you create it IN the Top view, it will automatically be pointed that direction.

3. Rotate the camera by 90 degrees clockwise (or counter-clockwise) so you can see the saucer longways across the width of the viewport.  For circular saucers, this won't matter as much.  But keep in mind that the way this view is rotated is how your saucer will look on the texture.  So choose wisely.  The camera needs to be located above the saucer along the center of the X axis.

4. Under "Parameters" for the Free Camera, click the box labled "Orthographic Projection".  This will flatten the view so that things are not warped when you are trying to trace contours or whatnot.

5. Decrease the "Lens mm" setting for the camera until you start seeing the extents of the saucer.  The trick here is to get the saucer centered in the camera by moving it along the Y axis and then changing the mm setting on the lens until the sides almost are out of the frame.

6. Select the saucer top.  In the Modifier List, select "Lattice".  This will actually delete all of the current polys for that model part and wrap a set of polys around each edge, as defined by the settings for the Lattice.

7. The settings for the Lattice are pretty much up to you, but I tend to use the ones in the image.  They might need to change depending on the actual size of the ship you are creating.  Smaller ships will need to use smaller radii for the struts.

8. Go back into the Modifier List and select "Edit Mesh".  Go into sub-object poly mode and start selecting lines on the saucer that aren't actually useful.  You can see in the image that I'm selecting the lines that run down the center of the saucer and run out towards the edges.  Since they aren't actually lines that would be visible on the saucer, I can delete them and make the image less crowded.

9. Now its time to render!  Start by opening the render dialogue box (F10 is the default key setting).  This is where you can start to choose which size texture you want to be using.  For this, I'm using 2048x2048 textures, so I set 2048 for the width and 1024 for the height.  This means that half my texture will be the top of the saucer, and the other half can be the bottom, or perhaps details, or even some other part of the ship.  This part is strictly up to the user, but I would suggest keeping the sizes in the normal range (512, 1024 or 2048).

10. Go ahead and render an image.  For me, the first render was off a bit.  The edges were cut off a little, so I had to change the mm setting on the camera to fit it just right.  Not a very big deal, but make sure you get all the edges in the right spot with room to spare.

The render of this image is now useful as the background template on any texture you are creating.  And since it is a true orthographic image, there is no warping or stretching to any spot.  You can draw freely on it, and it will match exactly as long as you have mapped it correctly.  There are a myriad of uses beyond just as a background image, if you leave the camera where it is.  You can come back later, having added parts or polys, and simply re-render the same image, place it over the background image you currently have and now you are ready to redraw.

Hope this has helped you.  I have found it invaluable as a tool for modifying textures and setting them precisely.

Offline Captain_Licard

• [RETIRED]
  • Captain Tiberius Flynn
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2010, 05:08:10 PM »
Thanks Locke!!!, you get a cookie, from what ive seen, this could also help with aztecing for the hull plating. thanks a bunch!!!
Star Trek Collision