Author Topic: Game crashes at loading screen.  (Read 2637 times)

Offline NoonMoon725

• Cookies: 0
Re: Game crashes at loading screen.
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2008, 06:49:32 AM »
HURRAY!!! I managed to get it all working.

So without further ado i give you all 1 Console Report.

I really, REALLY hope it helps.

>> This is a console tracker dump       by USS Frontier
##############
>> This dump started on -> Fri Aug 29 11:37:52 2008
##############
#----------------------------------------------------------------------->>> Fri Aug 29 11:37:52 2008
####
Outdated Foundation, updating functions
Outdated Foundation, installing FolderManager
Foundation Tech loaded
Tracking Console
['lActiveMutators = [', '\011"""Console Tracker""",', ']']
####

#----------------------------------------------------------------------->>> Fri Aug 29 11:40:00 2008
####
AttributeError: PreLoadAssets
####

#----------------------------------------------------------------------->>> Fri Aug 29 11:42:08 2008
####
cPickle.PicklingError: Cannot pickle <type 'type'> objects.
####

#----------------------------------------------------------------------->>> Fri Aug 29 11:44:16 2008
#----------------------------------------------------------------------->>> Fri Aug 29 11:46:24 2008
####
ValueError: bad marshal data
ValueError: bad marshal data
####

####################
>> This dump ended on -> Fri Aug 29 11:46:24 2008
>> Console Tracker Dump END
####################
>> This dump ended on -> Fri Aug 29 11:46:24 2008
>> Console Tracker Dump END

Thaks once again.

Offline Dalek

• Cookies: 206
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2008, 09:18:14 AM »
How far into the game did you go? As in, did you start single player, go to the point where it starts crashing adn then turn your BC off? Because this console report doesn't seem to give off any indication of going into single player. But "bad marshalling" and "cannot pickle" doesn't sound good thoguh.
"To live on as we have is to leave behind joy, and love, and companionship, because we know it to be transitory, of the moment. We know it will turn to ash. Only those whose lives are brief can imagine that love is eternal. You should embrace that remarkable illusion. It may be the greatest gift your race has ever received."

- Lorien

Offline Kirk

• Cookies: 139
    • My Released Mods
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2008, 01:30:15 PM »
Actually the pickling error is a pretty good indication that he did go into single player.

Offline Dalek

• Cookies: 206
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2008, 01:46:31 PM »
I think I'll just laugh at pickling. DOesn't sound like a computer term
"To live on as we have is to leave behind joy, and love, and companionship, because we know it to be transitory, of the moment. We know it will turn to ash. Only those whose lives are brief can imagine that love is eternal. You should embrace that remarkable illusion. It may be the greatest gift your race has ever received."

- Lorien

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2008, 02:22:22 PM »
Depends on your vocabulary.
Polymorphic also doesn't sound like a computer term, yet, it most certainly is.

In this case, it's a common term for something called "serialization", which is the act of copying in-memory data to the harddrive (or something other than the direct-use form).
And to verify it's rightfull usage here, it's the act of storing data for later, just as much as pickling food for later. ;)

Anyway, this is a common problem with scripts and globals, in fact, the same reason why games with NanoFX installed can't resume their savegames.
Can you now play the game atleast? I'm afraid you will have to continue your SP from the Custom menu.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline NoonMoon725

« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2008, 05:07:56 PM »
Can you now play the game atleast? I'm afraid you will have to continue your SP from the Custom menu.

I did not have any problem playing the game i guess. I could go into Quick battle and everything was fine.

SP? Do you mean Save Point. What do you mean continue from the custom menu?

Anyway, i am just going to uninstall EVERYTHING since i now have an external hard-drive which i am reinstalling all my games onto. So i shall give that a go and try the game again (with all these funky patches and instlls i was suggested) and see if it just sorts itself out. Failing that i shall come back with many question marks following me eagerly.

So once again...

Thanks everyone for your help.  :P

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2008, 05:38:33 PM »
SP usually means Single Player here.

In the menu where you go to for QB you can actually also select a mission that you want to continue. So, incase the save game doesn't work, then you can select your last played mission from there and continue.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline NoonMoon725

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2008, 04:53:27 PM »
*Hello everyone again.

Just another update on my situation.

I have reinstalled Bridge Commander onto my external to see if the old installation was just a fluke error. Unfortuanately it was not. I am still having the same problem with the game crashing/continuing indefinately at the first 'LOADING' screen.

I decided to try playing the game in a lower difficulty setting (Was playing on Admiral setting since i have completed the game on Captain when it was installed on my desktop) just in case this crashing is the games way of telling me to finish the game on an easier setting first to essentially unlock the Admiral level. Alas this did not work either, the game crashed at the same point. *Sigh*

However, just to clarify the 'Quick Battle' section works fine, i can load up as many enemies as i like and be whatever ship i like and it is all perfectly fine. So the problem is sitting quite nicely within the campaign area only. At least i hope it is.  :shock:

Also just to clarify this new install has absolutely NO mods at all so it is not going to be something i have downloaded conflicting with the game in some way. I have made 2 other directories for an additional 2 installs. One is going to have the patch and the Maru Expansion. And the third is going to be a mega mod installation. Patch, Maru and as many other additonal mods as takes my fancy.

Anyway, i digress. So basically the problem is still there. It is not really that bad since i am hoping that i will have no problems with online play when i try it but it would be nie to be able to play the campaign again at least some point in the future. So if anyone has any more ideas then i would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance. And a big thanks to Mleo, Dalekanium2 and Kirk2164 for all your help to date.  :P

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2008, 05:52:57 PM »
Try putting this (the contents that is) in your BC directory. It's the Campaign scripts in case they got corrupted from a scratched/dirty disc.

Offline NoonMoon725

« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2008, 04:09:02 PM »
10 Points to that man. These new Maelstrom files have completely eliminated the problem.

Of course this means that my disk is the problem. *Sigh* Oh well.  :(

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2008, 04:40:55 PM »
Luckily, you only need the disc inserted in your computer to play it, it won't read any files from it during gameplay.