Author Topic: Installation Problem  (Read 2652 times)

CaptainGalaxy

Installation Problem
« on: August 09, 2008, 07:58:38 AM »
While installing Star Trek: Bridge Commander I came across a terrible problem. 20% into the installation it stops. I believe it stops at the file called Movies I think. Please help me solve this problem. Ask me if you need any more details and I shall give you them.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
Re: Installation Problem
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 09:37:07 AM »
Is the disk scratched?
Is the disk dirty (if it is, carefully clean it with a fibreless cloth and non-abravsive(sp) cleaner, google around to make sure)?

Does it install on other computers?

Can you copy the entire disk to HDD without problems?
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

CaptainGalaxy

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 03:41:45 PM »
I mannaged to get another BC to work but now I am having another problem. I start the game, play it, etc... but the next time I start the game the screen just stays black. Is there anyway I can solve this problem?

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 06:21:23 PM »
Is there the yellow BC cursor?
If there is, then get us a console report.
Otherwise, have you tried pressing "Enter".
Or if that didn't work, try Alt+Tab untill you see a BC icon, go there, and take a screenshot of that (and post it here after you saved it as an image in Paint).

And if that failed, make sure that you aren't attempting to run 2 BC's side by side, that won't work.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline tiqhud

• BCFiles File Poster
  • Cookies: 1067
  • San Francisco Shipyards (HPer) file manuiplater
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 07:08:57 PM »
I mannaged to get another BC to work
Where did you manage to get it from so fast?
TiqHud
you sir, are unable to strike, the port or starboard parts of hull , of a bovine storage facility.
Canon , what people argue exists, that doesn't really  exist.
It is all the little details, that cause headaches.
"Never judge wealth with Money"
'Intelligence has Nothing to do with Politics'
it is Late, Do you know where your Towel is?

Picard_1

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 12:58:31 AM »
Burn your copy of BC as an iso file and mount it as a virtual drive using Daemon tools or similar
virtual drive software, then try to install BC from your virtual drive.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 09:03:43 AM »
Burn your copy of BC as an iso file and mount it as a virtual drive using Daemon tools or similar
virtual drive software, then try to install BC from your virtual drive.
Basicly, this is the same thing as copying your CD to HDD, if that copying fails, then creating an iso from it will also fail.

Offline lint

• Cookies: 211
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2008, 09:07:21 AM »
i smell an illegal download

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2008, 09:11:51 AM »
i smell an illegal download
Actually, to "burn your copy as an iso file" is creating a backup disc, using Nero Burning Rom speak.
It includes an option to copy a disc to an iso file.

Offline lint

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2008, 09:24:30 AM »
i stand corrected

CaptainGalaxy

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2008, 09:45:13 AM »
They don't make BC any more and the ones I got fro Ebay don't work and Spain doesn't get good service so basicly I have no way of getting it except for downloading it. What's the point in downloading something that shouldn't be downloaded when the creators don't care about the game any more?

The copy I downloaded is the one with the start-up problems. Would that have any effect on the way I start up the game. The first time I started it it started by itself just after I extracted all the files but then the only other way to start it is to go to Program Files/Acitivision/Bridge Commander and start it from there. Is there any way to start it other than from there?

Offline lint

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2008, 09:48:30 AM »
create a shortcut on the desktop??

CaptainGalaxy

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2008, 09:56:56 AM »
I tried that. After I put the shortcut on the desktop it just says it can't work in some way. I am going to have a look see now to get you a better description.

Okay, I'm back. I created a shortcut the simple way (Clicking the icon to start it and clicking Create Shortcut). It looks like it has something to do with the startup icon itself. Is there some way to startup to game without using that exact icon?

Picard_1

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2008, 04:47:05 PM »
Discussion of nocd hacks etc is forbidden.
El

In regard to your comment:

What's the point in downloading something that shouldn't be downloaded when the creators don't care about the game any more?

Hence the term pirating. This is like asking, "Why do people steal." If people want something bad enough and don't want to pay for it, they'll find a way to get it. Additionally, it's not that the developers don't care about the game anymore, it's that the software may have become Abandonware: Software that is no longer available for legitimate purchase after a certain age. However, the rights to that software don't simply disappear. Rights may transfer to another company long after the original company has broken up or gone bankrupt. Despite this fact, copyright laws protect the owner's rights and are enforceable by law.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2008, 05:25:25 PM »
It isn't Totally Games to publish the game, that's Activision.
Next, it's a game from 2002.
Then, Activision doesn't even have the Star Trek licence anymore, so they can't anyway.

Lastly, discussing warez (illegal things) is explicitly forbidden on these forums, so don't bother asking for no-cd patches and where or how to find downloadable copies on these boards!

CaptainGalaxy

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2008, 06:26:27 AM »
Discussion of nocd hacks etc is forbidden.
El

Could you explain in better detail? I'm not sure I understand.

starfleetcommand3

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2008, 02:31:02 PM »
Burn it to a CD. Once the CD is done, the CD Player will open. Uninstall then reinstall BC. Test it if it works.

CaptainGalaxy

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2008, 03:45:56 PM »
Okay, I'v got the downloaded version working swell now. Now I have a problem with installing mods. I start the game after (Trying) to install a mod and the same black screen thing happens again only this time there is a yellow curser.

The Mod I downloaded is GalaxyCharts and Unified Main menu.

Is there the yellow BC cursor?
If there is, then get us a console report.
Otherwise, have you tried pressing "Enter".
Or if that didn't work, try Alt+Tab untill you see a BC icon, go there, and take a screenshot of that (and post it here after you saved it as an image in Paint).

And if that failed, make sure that you aren't attempting to run 2 BC's side by side, that won't work.

Here are some pics of my directories:

Here is the Scripts Directory:

I hope that gives you info that might help solve my problem.

Maybe it would be best if someone gave me exact instructions on how to install mods?

Offline Kirk

• Cookies: 139
    • My Released Mods
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2008, 03:51:46 PM »
I have read that downloaded copies of BC don't work, and quite frankly I am surprised this thread hasn't been locked down yet.
I hope that gives you info that might help solve my problem.
Nope, but a console report will. (As mentioned in the quote you included.)
Maybe it would be best if someone gave me exact instructions on how to install mods?
Did you even read the readme?

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2008, 05:23:53 PM »
I'll tell you from your scripts directory that you didn't install the Foundation.

First install the patch (1.1, _NOT_ 1.2, which isn't a patch at all) then the Foundation, and then you can more or less safely install mods.