Author Topic: Help! Installed a mod, lost all controls (E.G. fleet order's option, gone).  (Read 2190 times)

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
The problem is, while it does solve the symptoms, it doesn't solve the problem.
And most people don't know all the files associated with a mod, and what if it's a faulty update?

If I'm in a cynical mood, I would say it's to amputate an arm to cure a scrape wound. Yes, when I'm really cynical. ;)
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Picard_1

Like I said, a lot of folks simply won't backup there files which could solve a lot of issues such as dealing
with a faulty update. The reason why I like uninstalling a mod is because 99% of the time the problem will
go away, then I can do a manual install and localize the problem to a single script. If that doesn't work then
I leave it to the pros such as yourself.

Offline USS Frontier

• Cookies: 562
But you could also simply use a console logger to discover the error (the specific script, line number and function where the error is located) and lower your work by what, 1000%? lol
"Revenge is a dish best served cold"
                    -Old Klingon Proverb
GravityFX Download
Galaxy Charts Download

Picard_1

No man, I like deleting stuff. :arms:

Offline Dalek

• Cookies: 206
Well, I said that I uninstalled the mod, but I must have left something. So I tracked it down, deleted it. BC is fine, but I'm still wary of it. As MLeo said
The problem is, while it does solve the symptoms, it doesn't solve the problem.
so I feel like uninstalling my BC to basically wipe it clean and start fresh. If anything, I'd rather do that in case my BC craps up later on. You lot have been really helpful to me, I'll give a cookie to all of you since I'm feeling helpful.
"To live on as we have is to leave behind joy, and love, and companionship, because we know it to be transitory, of the moment. We know it will turn to ash. Only those whose lives are brief can imagine that love is eternal. You should embrace that remarkable illusion. It may be the greatest gift your race has ever received."

- Lorien

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
So did the console logger yield anything?
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Picard_1

Well, I said that I uninstalled the mod, but I must have left something. So I tracked it down, deleted it. BC is fine, but I'm still wary of it.

This is true in nearly all cases; I've encountered this problem on numerous occasions. If BC is working fine now I'd say leave it alone and not fuss with reinstalling BC. I know how much of a pain that is.

Also, I think what MLeo meant was while deleting the files resolves the symptoms it doesn't offer any insight into what specific script is causing the problem, hence the console report. I use console tracker 1.7 for this.