Author Topic: How do you make a /map for BC?  (Read 964 times)

Offline ChronowerX_GT

• ChronowerX Productions - Founder
  • Cookies: 36
    • ChronowerX Productions
How do you make a /map for BC?
« on: June 22, 2008, 06:44:04 PM »
Hi, does anybody know how to make a system/map for BC? I wanted to make it from scratch, with my own planets, nebula's etc.

Having a smoking section in a restaurant is kinda like having a peeing section in a pool...

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
Re: How do you make a /map for BC?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 06:54:32 PM »
Partly by hand, partly through the Edit Mode.

Relatively speaking, it's not hard, but you need creativity for it.

Download a couple of System maps and see how they do it. BanzaiZap maps are good, and relatively simple (some contain AI ships, I suggest you stear (sp) away from them for the moment). But good though.

A System consists of a System Plugin (you seem to require a seperate one for GalaxyCharts, but please consider one through Foundation as well!), a system map/folder/directory in scripts/Systems/ and then 1 or more subsystems. All named <<SystemName>>#, placements (that you generate with the EditMode) are called <<SystemName>>#_P

If you have specific questions, make sure you ask (normally, I might have gone deeper in my explanation, but my brains are going into sleep mode).
And this basicly is it, since all systems share the same structure you can mostly copy and paste and change things to your liking.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline Kirk

• Cookies: 139
    • My Released Mods
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 06:56:48 PM »
I believe there may be a tutorial for this over at BCS.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 07:07:11 PM »
On BCU BanzaiZap has one.

And I believe the Mission Tutorials also contain some map references.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline Kirk

• Cookies: 139
    • My Released Mods
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 07:11:05 PM »

Offline ChronowerX_GT

• ChronowerX Productions - Founder
  • Cookies: 36
    • ChronowerX Productions
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 07:11:59 PM »
Great, I'll check them out. I was doing an earth retexture but I wasn't happy with the models and all that so I thought I could try and have a go at one myself.

Having a smoking section in a restaurant is kinda like having a peeing section in a pool...