Author Topic: Galaxy Charts Error - W/KM 1.0  (Read 1642 times)

Offline CJLarkin

• Cookies: 27
Galaxy Charts Error - W/KM 1.0
« on: June 10, 2008, 03:56:29 PM »
I have KM 1.0, and recently installed Galaxy Charts. I launch BC, activate the mutator and config, exit, then go back in, to allow the configs to save. Then, when I go to QB, I get a typical error report message, and then it quits to desktop. I ran the console tracker, and here's what I get:

Code: [Select]
20:54:40 2008
####
Outdated Foundation, updating functions
Outdated Foundation, installing FolderManager
Tracking Console
Foundation Tech loaded
Galaxy Charts v1.0 is online
Gravity FX has been loaded.
BridgeFX Enabled...
CameraFX Enabled...
ExplosionFX Enabled...
SpecialFX Enabled...
WarpFX Enabled...
DS9FX Initializing...
####

####
Fixing Jaggies
####
Build a game and people will be happy for a few years. Build a community... Well, look at BC. :D
Here's to another 20 years!

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
Re: Galaxy Charts Error - W/KM 1.0
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 04:54:48 PM »
the console report shows nothing wrong...  which typical error message do you mean?

Offline CJLarkin

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 05:11:03 PM »
The Error Report One (Send Error Report, Do Not Send)
Build a game and people will be happy for a few years. Build a community... Well, look at BC. :D

Offline USS Frontier

• Cookies: 562
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 10:05:00 PM »
Look, nothing agaisnt you so sorry if this sounds "offensive" but (im in a bad mood today >_<)...

Recently installed? Ok, but did you installed anything before or after it, or is it simple KM1 + GC?

Now the part which makes me angry (again nothing against you, so sorry. its just a little rant because it seems to me many people do this): Did you read the readme?  Because if you did, you would know that you don't need to close BC to save GC's configs, they are saved automaticaly when you change them. Plus, and more importantly, you would know that I specifically asked that if someone is to report a bug, please do so presenting GC's LOGs, which log many bugs that GC may cause instead of sending them to the console (which could cause bigger problems sometimes), and they are 'saved' instantenously so no info will be lost from them (the console tracker isn't like this, it saves things at each specific time interval, so you can lose some info). Ok they might not help at all, but still its worth the shot. Particularly, many bugs I found and fixed in GC (and even in some other scripts) using the logger.
"Revenge is a dish best served cold"
                    -Old Klingon Proverb
GravityFX Download
Galaxy Charts Download

Offline CJLarkin

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 10:15:03 AM »
Ok, ok, i'm sorry. I've enabled logging now, and this is what the text file churned out:

Code: [Select]
#This is the dump of the LogCreator: <Main Galaxy Logger LogCreator_VcUlYBoJv2ke>
#This log file was created on: 15:18:9.0 of 11/June/2008, Wednesday
########################################
## -------------------- ##
####################
#######>>>15:18:9.0 of 11/June/2008, Wednesday
#>>>Initialized Main Galaxy logger

I am really sorry to inconvenience you with this somewhat trivial problem, but I would appreciate any help.

Offline JimmyB76

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 11:59:26 AM »
nothing wrong there...

Offline CJLarkin

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 12:01:52 PM »
Aye, that's the strangeness. Only other things I have on this install are a ship or two and some texture mods I made. Oh, and the Dyson Sphere Mod.

Offline JimmyB76

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 12:03:42 PM »
which ships?  and which dyson sphere mod?

Offline CJLarkin

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 12:06:50 PM »
'twas:

This and this.
I think that's all, to be honest (well, apart from Retextures, but they don't affect it, as they were working perfectly before).

Offline JimmyB76

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 12:15:31 PM »
ya, retextures wouldnt cause game crashes...
do you have all the requirements for the Super Nova?  also, im suspecting that the Dyson Sphere, which says is not a finished product, might be the culprit...

you didnt happen to make backups before installing those two things, did you?  also, have you tried taking one or both of those mods out of your install completely?

Offline CJLarkin

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2008, 12:21:14 PM »
The Super Nova is just your basic Foundation-Required Ship, (mind you it has other ship requirements that are already in KM, so that doesn't apply)

I'm checking into the Dyson Sphere mod now.

EDIT: Nope, it's not that. Besides, i've had it installed for some time now.

Offline JimmyB76

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2008, 12:32:56 PM »
another idea is to try the game in windowed mode...  sometimes when the game crashes to desktop, there is a dos error box that sometimes contains the errors at the time of the crash...

also, with Galaxy Charts, in the readme it describes how to go about getting error reports and logs and such in text format...  try looking into that, and then upload the logs here... 

Offline CJLarkin

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2008, 01:04:51 PM »
Aye, that is what I did. Above is the main log. All the others are similar. I shall attach them anyway:

Offline JimmyB76

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2008, 01:08:10 PM »
im not sure what to say, there is nothing in the logs...

Offline CJLarkin

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2008, 01:11:07 PM »
I think I know the problem.
I'M CURSED!!!

OK, Ignore that. I think i'll just do a re-install, makes things easier I suppose.

Offline JimmyB76

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2008, 01:36:43 PM »
generally, a reinstall isnt necessary, but in this case it might be best...

start off with a fresh new KM1 install, and be sure to make backups before installing anything new in case you encounter a weird issue like this...  also, test each thing out before putting something else in...

with backups and testing each new thing before another, youll be safe...

Offline USS Frontier

• Cookies: 562
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2008, 08:03:00 PM »
generally, a reinstall isnt necessary, but in this case it might be best...

start off with a fresh new KM1 install, and be sure to make backups before installing anything new in case you encounter a weird issue like this...  also, test each thing out before putting something else in...

with backups and testing each new thing before another, youll be safe...

Yup, that would be best.
I also don't know what it might be, and honestly I don't remember a "start QB -> crash" bug with GC...
"Revenge is a dish best served cold"
                    -Old Klingon Proverb
GravityFX Download
Galaxy Charts Download

Offline CJLarkin

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2008, 02:38:10 AM »
Well I replaced my install with an old KM 1 Backup I made a while ago. Turns out that it was the "data" folder that was containing the error, as everything worked after I replaced that folder. This is rather strange, as all the models are still there, and the same. It could have been a texture error on my part, or a random circumstance that just happened.

Anyway, thank you both for your help.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2008, 05:27:33 AM »
It could have been a TGL corruption (somewhere) since that's the only resource that can crash BC without warning (other than a projectile, or a faulty bridge related nif, but both require to be "used" and in case of the nif, seen, to trigger a crash).
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.