Author Topic: An altered D3D Error.  (Read 1580 times)

R.Sentinel

An altered D3D Error.
« on: May 29, 2008, 07:35:59 AM »
Hello, I recently got a copy of BC and suffered an error. I got the D3D error, but it was different in the way that; "Creation failed: Desired fullscreen display mode not supported" was changed to just; "". I installed new Display Drivers and DX9.C Software to no avail. I noticed the options.cfg file was missing when my friend was helping me and sent his, which was already set to my screen resolution. It didn't work, and now I am at a loose end to what to do now. I've scouted many forums and tried nearly everything to get it to work, but so far nothing.

My computer and graphic's software are as follows:

Microsoft XP Professional
Service Pack2
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual
Core Processor 5000+
2.61 GHz, 1.93 GB of Ram

GeForce 6100 nForce 405
Intergreated RAMDAC
256 MB Memory Size
Version 5.61.32.20.1

If anyone can shed some light on my problem, I would be very greatful.

Offline lint

• Cookies: 211
Re: An altered D3D Error.
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 07:39:04 AM »
i would suggest deleting the options.cfg and then running the game and see what happens?,
that usually fixes it.

R.Sentinel

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 07:59:58 AM »
I tried to run the game before my friend sent it to me, and it didn't work before then so.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 11:17:01 AM »
See the Frequently Asked Questions thread.

Either deleting your options.cfg or rebooting ought to solve this.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

R.Sentinel

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 11:19:09 AM »
...Both didn't work, otherwise I wouldn't have posted this question.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 11:32:41 AM »
Open options.cfg in notepad and change
Code: [Select]
Fullscreen Mode|1to
Code: [Select]
Fullscreen Mode|0And change the width reference to 800 and the height reference to 600.
And start the game in -TestMode.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

R.Sentinel

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 11:54:29 AM »
I cannot activate -TestMode. I have tried all listed ways. The shortcut did not work, since it wouldn't accept the TestMode target extention. Executing from the .bat file opened a window with the same file, the target to stbc.exe flickering over and over again and finally. I edited the ____init___.py, and tried to open BC but it failed to execute and opened an error page instantly.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 12:01:20 PM »
Which error page?

R.Sentinel

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 12:09:05 PM »
"stbc.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience" The usual microsoft error window.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 12:12:52 PM »
Put this in scripts/Tactical/ after you delete the file you changed.

R.Sentinel

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 12:19:52 PM »
It didn't work. The options.cfg file was why it wasn't running, so I had to delete it before trying to start. Changing the file after deleting Options.cfg didn't work, the same D3D error came up.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 01:44:04 PM »
What about other games?
And have you tried DXDiag (Start->Run->DXDiag)?

Offline El

• Master Hardpointer
  • Retired Administrator
  • Cookies: 123
  • Former Vice Admin
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2008, 01:47:53 PM »
If its a new install, I'd recommend reinstalling from the CD to a different location, it may just be that installation.
If that doesn't work then its something to do with your machine.

R.Sentinel

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2008, 01:52:50 PM »
I went to Dxdiag but everything seemed fine. Most of the D3D tests were good. I'll try reinstalling.

Bedlam

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2008, 03:17:46 PM »
I've had the same problem for the past 12 hours and I finally found a sneaky little alternative directory (I'm running Vista Home Premion 64 bit).  The alternate directory, that I believe was the cause of my problems, was located at C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local

Inside that \Local file I found a whole different Activision file with  BC and BC Demo - even though I had uninstalled them both (several times in the case of BC).  Once I removed that Activision file - and the options.cfg it contained, I reinstalled and the game loaded right up.

I'm not sure if XP would have a redundant file that could be messing up your game but it would be worth looking for.

Sorry I can't be of more help, I'm not super fluent with solving these issues but I figured I'd share what worked for me on the off chance if helps.

Best of luck!