Author Topic: Noob 101  (Read 2657 times)

Offline starfox1701

• Cookies: 13
Re: Noob 101
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2008, 09:48:23 PM »
Anything I can do to fix it?

Offline Kirk

• Cookies: 139
    • My Released Mods
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2008, 09:23:36 AM »
Turn down your graphics settings. That's the only thing you can do to reduce lag in this case.

Offline starfox1701

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2008, 04:06:53 PM »
The lag is being caused by the CR nebulas which it turns out are multi mesh models. THats why the slow it down so bad the computer is treating each model like 10 or more individual models which is puting a huge strain on the system resorces. I'm working that from another angle. What I'm shooting to fix here are the nasty clipping errors on my ships skins.

donjoe

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2008, 11:55:41 AM »
The game also doesn't like the CG sovereign because it doesn't have the Quantumtorpedo.py as one of it's torpedo choices, but that's easy to fix.
Umm... and how exactly do I fix it? :)

I think I have just the problem you said, 'cos I'm getting this in the console:

Offline Kirk

• Cookies: 139
    • My Released Mods
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2008, 11:58:25 AM »
That's different. According to the console, you don't have any of the CG sov's projectiles.

Offline starfox1701

« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2008, 02:30:46 PM »
Yea I may be a Noob but I read that as you are missing a bunch of torpedo files.

donjoe

« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2008, 05:26:41 PM »
Yea I may be a Noob but I read that as you are missing a bunch of torpedo files.
Well, I was even "n00ber" than that a few hours ago - I didn't even know what you guys were talking about or how to fix it (in fact, I did explicitly ask how to fix it, that should've been a dead giveaway). So for the benefit of other potential noobs who may drop by in search of answers, here's my current understanding:

• "Hardpoints" are .py and/or .pyc files describing the game's ships somehow, and they reside in your Bridge Commander installation directory under \scripts\ships\Hardpoints\
  • Among other things, these files reference the specific "projectiles" the ships are capable of throwing at enemies, projectiles which reside in \scripts\Tactical\Projectiles\ as .py files
  • A ship's "hardpoint" file will reference the ship's projectiles by quoted entries such as: "Tactical.Projectiles.PhotonTorpedo", with the last name being the exact filename that's supposed to be in the directory above, i.e. in this case \scripts\Tactical\Projectiles\PhotonTorpedo.py
  • If the "hardpoint" file references a projectile in this way but the projectile's .py file doesn't exist, the game will crash every time it tries to have such a ship fire such a projectile
  • An immediate solution should already be obvious: unless you know a pack or mod you can install to put that exact projectile file where it should be, your easiest option is to simply replace its name in the "hardpoint" file with the name of some other projectile that you do have; but make sure to only replace the name of the missing projectile and only in places where it's preceded by "Tactical.Projectiles." in the "hardpoint" file, lest you damage something else that's working fine.

Myself, I went and installed this:
http://bridgecommander.filefront.com/file/Elminsters_Common_Weapons_Pack;57735
and since it didn't really contain any of the projectiles I was missing, I simply replaced their names in Sovereign.py and sovereign.pyc with whatever seemed appropriate from the now wider variety of choices (e.g. Quantum -> QuantumTorpedo, CGPhotorp -> PhotonTorpedo and QuantumCG -> RapidQuantum).

And now it works. I've moved on from episode 4 and I'm nearing the end of E6 now, no more crashes.

Offline starfox1701

« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2008, 01:58:16 PM »
Well you currentlly know more than me about it so I say thanks for the info :D