Author Topic: DJ Galaxy Class Enhancements - 4th December Real Bumps  (Read 8214 times)

Offline Jb06

• Cookies: 968
  • JL Studios Co-Founder
    • JL Studios
DJ Galaxy Class Enhancements - 4th December Real Bumps
« on: April 24, 2008, 06:47:31 PM »
Presenting JL Studios U.S.S. Enterprise D Enhancements.

The one and only way improve upon DJ's fantastic Galaxy Class, We at JLS thought have made bump map effects for. Thats the one thing it missed... bump mapping. Of course this was not DJ's fault as the BC engine does not support it. So we have simulated the effect and the results look great.

I've also made some adjustments to the bussard collectors, the nacelle grilles, escape pods, the deflector and darkened the hull slighty. Brand new speculars also complement the new bump effect and the overall look of the ship.

There are two versions of the bump effect, medium and light. One must take your fancy :P

In addition to this I will include the already fixed Tactical Display Problem along with the sfx problem which some of you have been experiencing.

Release Date: Summer/Autumn 2008

~Jb06

Offline Jb06

• JL Studios Co-Founder
    • JL Studios
Re: DJ Galaxy Class Enhancements
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 06:49:07 PM »
Last pics :D

~Jb06

Offline Voyager16

• Modding is improving.
  • Cookies: 9
  • KM - Mod Team Member
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 06:58:01 PM »
As I stated before; very VERY nice:)

Offline Kirk

• Cookies: 139
    • My Released Mods
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 06:58:53 PM »
Wow Jb, that is freakin' awesome. Will you also be fixing the display that shows the system damage?

Offline Shinzon

• Cookies: 9
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 11:13:56 PM »
whoa... that looks superb!

Offline Captain_D

• Captain of the Seafood Universe
  • Cookies: 5
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 03:44:19 AM »
This was the only slight disapointment of mine with this cool ship, the textures were great, but didn't quite match the look of the later season model on TNG.  Now she will be Perfect :D

Great Job.

Offline DJ Curtis

• Ship Builder
  • Cookies: 1410
  • I make ships.
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008, 09:34:15 AM »
There are two reasons why my Galaxy has no fake bump mapping.

1. It only looks good from certain angles.  From most angles, everything looks backwards.

2. The ship is built for Excalibur, and will have real normal mapping to add bumps that will look correct from every angle.  Had I fake bump mapped it, those real ones wouldn't look right come Excalibur.

Offline blaXXer

• Your Leader
  • Cookies: 96
  • The proud result of slave labor
    • blaXXer.design
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2008, 10:29:11 AM »
mh, looks good enough, I guess. I have to say, however, I never was a fan of fake bump-mapping...I'll be waiting for the Excal version ;-)

YOU suck, get a life, moran.

COME TO MY PLACE clicketh me!

Offline Aeries

• Cookies: 226
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2008, 10:31:20 AM »
While they look really neat, DJ's correct where the angles are concerned... we touched base on this regarding a Nebula some time ago; fake bumps just don't work all that well. A sad fact. But I suppose that wouldn't really bother some people, so I wish ya the best of luck with this project.

~Aeries.

Offline Shadowknight1

• Cookies: 71
  • Star Trek Into Darkness
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2008, 10:35:11 AM »
While they look really neat, DJ's correct where the angles are concerned... we touched base on this regarding a Nebula some time ago; fake bumps just don't work all that well. A sad fact. But I suppose that wouldn't really bother some people, so I wish ya the best of luck with this project.

~Aeries.

^^Agreed.

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline jericho

• Cookies: 3
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2008, 11:14:20 AM »
Looks great man, thanks for taking the time to do it..

Offline Jb06

• JL Studios Co-Founder
    • JL Studios
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2008, 12:22:37 PM »

~Aeries.

Well you can be wrong there. Most people when trying to bump map... leave the shading light on one side and a dark shadow on the other. This is not the case here which means the rised part of the hull is even anyway you look.

Besides from all the pics I taken, there all at different angles and the bump mapping works.

mh, looks good enough, I guess. I have to say, however, I never was a fan of fake bump-mapping...I'll be waiting for the Excal version ;-)

Thats the only point in this... its specifically BC. If it went to legacy it would look stupid as that does allow bump maps.

Looks great man, thanks for taking the time to do it..

Only taken about 20 mins to do, not a problem.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2008, 12:45:40 PM »
I for one prefer the look of DJs Galaxy Class without the "easy bake oven" texturing, most notably visible on P81's models. While i'm not saying your "enhancement" of DJs textures are bad, it's just not my cup of tea.
Official BCC Discord ยท https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Jb06

• JL Studios Co-Founder
    • JL Studios
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2008, 01:31:53 PM »
I for one prefer the look of DJs Galaxy Class without the "easy bake oven" texturing, most notably visible on P81's models. While i'm not saying your "enhancement" of DJs textures are bad, it's just not my cup of tea.

Thats fine, I'm not out to please everyone as i'd be here for a very long time ;) Im just opposite to you, i think this gives DJ galaxy more depth than the original flat textures, no offence to DJ. You either like it or not :D

~Jb06

Offline moed

• Cookies: 57
  • Star Trekus Fanaticus
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2008, 02:26:55 PM »

Thats fine, I'm not out to please everyone as i'd be here for a very long time ;) Im just opposite to you, i think this gives DJ galaxy more depth than the original flat textures, no offence to DJ. You either like it or not :D

~Jb06

I agree with you jb. The simulated bump mapping looks great... and great job on this. It does give the ship more depth, and with the light bump mapping, it is more subtle and elegant. I "kicks the ship up a notch".

I very much look forward to the real bump mapping of this and all ships in Excalibur, but even if it's not visible from all angles; this still looks real good for BC

Offline Rat Boy

• Cookies: 6
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2008, 03:15:04 PM »
I prefer the light bumps, myself.  Not too much, not too little.
Writer, Star Trek: Yorktown - A saga of the 23rd Century

Coming soon, I hope

Offline adama2

• Cookies: 0
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2008, 07:13:34 PM »
So I think the Galaxy Class From DJ Curtis  just as it is perfect....I do not know why so many people are complaining about the Ship :(....I think it's too early to now change...is my opinion.....

in any event include the galaxy and the venture to my favorite ships

Offline Aeries

• Cookies: 226
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2008, 07:48:32 PM »

~Aeries.

Well you can be wrong there. Most people when trying to bump map... leave the shading light on one side and a dark shadow on the other. This is not the case here which means the rised part of the hull is even anyway you look.

Besides from all the pics I taken, there all at different angles and the bump mapping works.

Like I said, it does look neat; I'll surely download it once I'm settled and my PC is back up and running. I do admit, a lot of the details are really accented, and you all know me... I loves detail! :D So I'll wait to pass my final judgement for when I've tested it out.

-Aeries.

Offline Shadowknight1

• Cookies: 71
  • Star Trek Into Darkness
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2008, 10:51:51 PM »
So I think the Galaxy Class From DJ Curtis  just as it is perfect....I do not know why so many people are complaining about the Ship :(....I think it's too early to now change...is my opinion.....

in any event include the galaxy and the venture to my favorite ships

No one here is complaining.  All this is is making an already beautiful ship look more realistic. ;)

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline Nebula

• BC elder / BCC Vice Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1129
  • KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder (2002)
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2008, 11:52:42 PM »
well I def like how the ship looks with these new texture tweaks on some angles.
Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.