Author Topic: Stripped Down Dedicated Server?  (Read 848 times)

teeth_03

Stripped Down Dedicated Server?
« on: March 12, 2008, 02:52:35 PM »
heres my problem

I got an old computer acting as a server (TS for now)

Specs-

1.5 ghz single core P4
768 megs of RAM
Radeon 9200
its a Compaq machine,so its not exactly "powerful" to begin with

I got BC KM1.0 installed on it,and when I just launch to the menu,the fans kick up

now,this computer is in my bedroom,and speedy fans is not something I wanna deal with.

all the settings are low,even windowed mode

so the question is,is there any particular reason why just the BC Menu causes my CPU fans to kick up?

Offline Aeries

• Cookies: 226
Re: Stripped Down Dedicated Server?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 03:10:06 PM »
You might get more help in the Tech Support Forum.

However, if all you're wondering about is the fans speeding up... reason being is that even at the menu, the system is operating at higher than normal rates... especially an older system like what you're describing. Windows Detects this, Bios detects this, system fans speed up. It's just the way it's built. Many motherboards have a Cool & Quiet feature of sorts that allows the motherboard to control the fan speeds itself, as seems evident with yours, however with this feature turned off, the fans will stay at maximum speed without slowing down. Ever.

So it's pretty much that you either deal with the noisy fans, or take them out and possibly overheat the system.

Offline El

• Master Hardpointer
  • Retired Administrator
  • Cookies: 123
  • Former Vice Admin
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 03:12:59 PM »
Moved

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 03:30:03 PM »
The reason is, is that every part of BC is done using DirectX, and using real time 3d graphics, even for the menu's.

It's the realtime part that is making your CPU use everything it can use, this was especially done for older systems (older than the one you have) that it would result in worse gameplay not to use a lot of extra CPU time.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline Aeries

• Cookies: 226
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 03:33:30 PM »
The reason is, is that every part of BC is done using DirectX, and using real time 3d graphics, even for the menu's.

It's the realtime part that is making your CPU use everything it can use, this was especially done for older systems (older than the one you have) that it would result in worse gameplay not to use a lot of extra CPU time.

Hmm.
Seems I've learned something new here, too... and gotten a couple fresh ideas to boot... *evil grinn as I run off into the distance*

teeth_03

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 05:13:35 PM »
well,I knew that higher the CPU ran,faster the fans go

I was just wondering why the BC menu used up so much power

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 06:53:16 PM »
Exactly for what I said, BC (so everything including the menu) doesn't know "slower".

And when you are hosting a game, it will go full speed ahead anyway since you need to be in game as well.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.