Author Topic: Post dom-war excelsior refit  (Read 22539 times)

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
Re: Post dom-war excelsior refit
« Reply #220 on: September 05, 2008, 03:28:50 PM »
hmmmmm i dunno, i gotta admit im not so sure about the dual necks...  of course, i can learn to like them...  but they seem like the saucer section can like easily break off from the nacelles...  and the torp launcher looks like it is being held onto the saucer with a twig and can easily break off also...

Offline Bones

• Cookies: 639
  • SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #221 on: September 05, 2008, 03:50:47 PM »
then learn to like it  :lol:
nah seriously, i could remove necks and mount torpedo launcher straight below saucer directly attached to it but then it would be impossible to make it torpedo pod as whenever you fire you hit you ventral sensor dome :? of course i could look after something more stable but why ? Nebula class has the same small necks holding sensor pod, Miranda has it's nacelles mounted on rather thin pylons, Constitution class neck wouldn't stand against gravity for even 5 minuts cuz it's too thin for saucer of this size... it's space, it's vacum I doubt it will break of ;)

I want to keep this design as close to Centaur as possible but I may come up with some replacements for dual necks anyway :D

Offline martyr

• Cookies: 4
« Reply #222 on: September 05, 2008, 04:50:46 PM »
triple neck!

the neck should be a touch thicker

Offline Dalek

• Cookies: 206
« Reply #223 on: September 05, 2008, 05:09:06 PM »
then learn to like it  :lol:
nah seriously, i could remove necks and mount torpedo launcher straight below saucer directly attached to it but then it would be impossible to make it torpedo pod as whenever you fire you hit you ventral sensor dome :? of course i could look after something more stable but why ? Nebula class has the same small necks holding sensor pod, Miranda has it's nacelles mounted on rather thin pylons, Constitution class neck wouldn't stand against gravity for even 5 minuts cuz it's too thin for saucer of this size... it's space, it's vacum I doubt it will break of ;)

I want to keep this design as close to Centaur as possible but I may come up with some replacements for dual necks anyway :D
The only difference with the Nebula class was the fact that the support pylon thingymabob was holding up something small, not the whole Primary Hull! Connie, the feds were getting there with ship designs and the Miranda has thin pylons cos again, the warp engines are small, and are hanging at the bottom, not on top.
"To live on as we have is to leave behind joy, and love, and companionship, because we know it to be transitory, of the moment. We know it will turn to ash. Only those whose lives are brief can imagine that love is eternal. You should embrace that remarkable illusion. It may be the greatest gift your race has ever received."

- Lorien

Offline Shino Tenshi

• NG|mods Founder
  • Cookies: 23
  • Aw, man...
    • NG|mods website
« Reply #224 on: September 05, 2008, 07:17:22 PM »
On the Centaur it somehow looks right, whilst on the Minotaur it looks quite fragile.
But if it stays like that I think I'll still love her ^^

MikeA

« Reply #225 on: September 06, 2008, 02:09:00 AM »
What has happened to the excelsior refit posting on BCfiles?  Seems to be taking a very long time..?  Did it get rejected or something?  Dying to play with it. ;)

Offline Bones

• SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #226 on: September 06, 2008, 06:04:02 AM »
Dunno it's two days now since I've uploaded it :? they used to be faster with files posting :D

EDIT : Update on Minotaur,
I've replaced those thin pylons holding torpedo pod with something better that somehow didn't fit below the main weapons pod and now it serves as a small secondary hull with ventral torpedo pod & warp engines pylons attached directly to it, additionally I've moved those thin pylons to impulse engines so now they hold warp pylons although I'm not sure to leave them there as it looks strange IMO ;) have a look on it...
If you'll like it then the only thing this ship needs is  some phaser banks on the aft and some hull patterns on pylons and on the upper neck

Offline Dalek

« Reply #227 on: September 06, 2008, 07:54:01 AM »
Now it really looks stable.

For those questioning the Centaur, the saucer was welded straight on top of the torpedo bays, that's why the Minotaur looks different.
"To live on as we have is to leave behind joy, and love, and companionship, because we know it to be transitory, of the moment. We know it will turn to ash. Only those whose lives are brief can imagine that love is eternal. You should embrace that remarkable illusion. It may be the greatest gift your race has ever received."

- Lorien

Offline martyr

« Reply #228 on: September 06, 2008, 08:23:55 AM »
::thumbs up::

Offline Bones

• SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #229 on: September 06, 2008, 09:39:12 AM »
So, I may now add some phaser stripes and it's ready for fixing smoothing errors and then for finishing the textures :D

and now as a part of the pack I have digged up something I made few months ago

Offline martyr

« Reply #230 on: September 06, 2008, 10:09:12 AM »
holey moley

Offline Dalek

« Reply #231 on: September 06, 2008, 10:10:55 AM »
Seconded!

- Lorien

Offline Shino Tenshi

• NG|mods Founder
  • Aw, man...
    • NG|mods website
« Reply #232 on: September 06, 2008, 10:42:18 AM »
Nice!  8)

But don't you think that Sec.-Hull could use some more polys?

Offline JimmyB76

« Reply #233 on: September 06, 2008, 10:44:10 AM »
ooh!  nice bridge retexture!  we can never have too many of those, IMO :D

Offline Bones

• SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #234 on: September 06, 2008, 12:01:34 PM »
Yeah it could use tho my possibilities are still very limited but I could try :D

Offline Dalek

« Reply #235 on: September 08, 2008, 11:42:07 AM »
Hell, everything looks nice.

You could try posting the Excelsior Refit again? Maybe they didn't get it.

- Lorien

Offline Shino Tenshi

• NG|mods Founder
  • Aw, man...
    • NG|mods website
« Reply #236 on: September 08, 2008, 12:23:25 PM »
Or maybe they are busy with their real-life?
Even though they are FF-Staff, they are still just humans. ^^

Offline JimmyB76

« Reply #237 on: September 08, 2008, 12:33:44 PM »
You could try posting the Excelsior Refit again? Maybe they didn't get it.
no no no no - never submit anything twice...  having been onstaff at BCFiles in the past, i can say that yopyop is very likely correct...  sometimes life gets busy for BCFiles staffers, and they try to get things up as quickly as they can...  you only need submitting a file one time, and know that it is there and will be taken care of asap... 
believe me, it can become quite annoying when you go to check the FTP and find the same file posted many times by someone...

Offline Bones

• SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #238 on: September 08, 2008, 12:37:20 PM »
yeah besides it's aint comin' anywhere so I'll wait patiently cuz I understand how complicated RL can be (I was off moding for almost 4 months because of stupid accident and then busy with exams0 so no rush it's sent and sooner than later it'll be up on BCF ;)

intrepid90

« Reply #239 on: September 08, 2008, 02:15:30 PM »
hm strange, another mod was uploaded though...