Author Topic: BC Modding Has Gone Beyond Third Party Companies  (Read 3572 times)

Picard_1

BC Modding Has Gone Beyond Third Party Companies
« on: February 10, 2008, 05:43:23 PM »
It's no surprise when one can say that the level of modeling for BC has leaped beyond what
other software companies struggle to accomplish.

Just look at Perpetual Entertainment's Star Trek Online. The project group went bust, and broke
up scattering program code and resources to another company. Even at its best, promotional
photos revealed object detail only second best to individual mods for Bridge Commander.

Nanofx GE, Excalibur, DJ Curtis's Galaxy Class are prime examples of detail and rendering that are
composed merely by individuals and not a software company scheming to get rich quick off of
Star Trek.

Offline Billz

• Cookies: 45
  • Doctor who? ;)
Re: BC Modding Has Gone Beyond Third Party Companies
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 05:52:58 PM »
It's no surprise when one can say that the level of modeling for BC has leaped beyond what

Just look at Perpetual Entertainment's Star Trek Online. The project group went bust, and broke
up scattering program code and resources to another company. Even at its best, promotional
photos revealed object detail only second best to individual mods for Bridge Commander.

Nanofx GE, Excalibur, DJ Curtis's Galaxy Class are prime examples of detail and rendering that are
composed merely by individuals and not a software company scheming to get rich quick off of
Star Trek.

QFT!

Cookie for you.
Can't wait for 2014 to start.

Offline Barihawk

• Ninth Fleet STO Commanding Officer
  • Cookies: 225
  • BC: The Aftermath Member
    • My Released Work
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 07:33:10 AM »
To be honest, none of those are for BC :P.

The tradeoff here is time. You pay guys money, they work fast. But our guys don't get paid and have to work for a living. DJ's ship? Could have been pulled off in 2-3 weeks if you'd paid someone to do it full time.

And that's our tradeoff.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 09:41:22 AM »
To be honest, none of those are for BC :P.

The tradeoff here is time. You pay guys money, they work fast. But our guys don't get paid and have to work for a living. DJ's ship? Could have been pulled off in 2-3 weeks if you'd paid someone to do it full time.

And that's our tradeoff.

And yet... Mad Doc software were paid developers and what did they turn out in their game? Bunch of remapped P81 ships which the BC community has had access to for years.
Official BCC Discord · https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Barihawk

• My Released Work
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 10:13:44 AM »
That's also why Mad Doc is considered to be dead by the gaming industry and Bethseda cancelled all contracts in infinitum with them. Plus, P81 works for them :P.

Also, when you don't worry about money, you can build minimum requirements up a bit. Game developers have to make money, so they have to dumb down production a bit.

Offline Glenn

• Starfleet Command
  • Cookies: 190
  • Captain - USS Explorer
    • Captain Elgy's Star Trek Files
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 02:28:14 PM »
Star Trek.

It just goes to show that if you want something done properly you have to do it yourself!!  :D

Offline El

• Master Hardpointer
  • Retired Administrator
  • Cookies: 123
  • Former Vice Admin
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 02:41:50 PM »
Star Trek.

It just goes to show that if you want something done properly you have to do it yourself!!  :D

Or kill Baldrick before you start(random Blackadder reference)

Picard_1

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 04:03:40 PM »
The tradeoff here is time. You pay guys money, they work fast.

They get paid salary; if the game's a hit or miss, they still get paid.

Time isn't an issue for them, they know the money is coming. Sure they have
a deadline, but they know eager Trek fans will pay the big buck for their hyped
up Trek game.

I'd rather wait 2-3 years for a good game then a game that has had 2 dozen
ships pumped out in 2-3 weeks but terrible game play.

Offline ChronowerX_GT

• ChronowerX Productions - Founder
  • Cookies: 36
    • ChronowerX Productions
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 03:22:04 PM »
Imagine if the Excal team worked on the next commercial ST game? They have a passion and skill for it and imagine if they were getting paid full time. The quality of the ships would be outstanding.

Having a smoking section in a restaurant is kinda like having a peeing section in a pool...

Offline FekLeyr Targ

• DS9FX Team
  • Cookies: 537
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 03:26:21 PM »
I offer a toast. For the community which has gone so far and is going to get further: The Star Trek Bridge Commander Modding Community.
TaH pagh, Tah be.

Offline Barihawk

• My Released Work
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2008, 04:11:48 PM »
Imagine if the Excal team worked on the next commercial ST game? They have a passion and skill for it and imagine if they were getting paid full time. The quality of the ships would be outstanding.

Their financier would want results, and would put time restrictions on them. Tradeoff again. For better results, we will have to wait, and they will have to do it for free.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2008, 09:34:39 PM »
They get paid salary; if the game's a hit or miss, they still get paid.

Time isn't an issue for them, they know the money is coming. Sure they have
a deadline, but they know eager Trek fans will pay the big buck for their hyped
up Trek game.

I'd rather wait 2-3 years for a good game then a game that has had 2 dozen
ships pumped out in 2-3 weeks but terrible game play.

Hit the nail on the head with this one.
Official BCC Discord · https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Barihawk

• My Released Work
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2008, 11:17:59 PM »
Haha, I'm apparently the only Legacy player here :P.

It's not bad when you tweak it.

Offline ChronowerX_GT

• ChronowerX Productions
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2008, 06:33:43 AM »
I played it but I gave up when my HDD died. Can you reccomend any good packs for the single played mode?

Having a smoking section in a restaurant is kinda like having a peeing section in a pool...

Offline Bones

• Cookies: 639
  • SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2008, 08:34:04 AM »
Haha, I'm apparently the only Legacy player here :P.

It's not bad when you tweak it.
You're not alone here mate :D I'm playing legacy with trek battles mod and have to say that steering those ships in legacy $ucks so much that I just hate flying ships there also disruptors seems to be powerless, torpedos have infinite seek factor and overall it is buggy game but sometimes funny to play tho I still like BC alot more :D

Picard_1

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2008, 04:55:32 PM »
Man, Legacy would have been a great game if you could just steer the ship and fire phasers!

Offline Aeries

• Cookies: 226
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2008, 05:29:38 PM »

Star Trek.

The passion for trek moulded with pure art and talent is what inspired me to actually start modelling my first project. I found BC Files via a suggestion of a friend, and downloaded some mods over the years, and eventually began to wonder who made these fantastic pieces of art and why. Which, after some lengthly consideraion, lead me here, and learning a lot about the community. Very shortly after, I started my first project, the Mithra, and here I am. It actually amazes me how diverse this community is, and how much raw talent is present here. So, cheers dude. Cookie.

-Aeries.

Offline ChronowerX_GT

• ChronowerX Productions
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2008, 05:57:43 PM »
Lol I found out BC in an old car boot sale. I bought a load of old 'Official Windows XP' Cd's for ?1 and it was one of the demo's on one of the disks. Well I was hooked. Then I went to buy the game and was horrified by the price lol. ?30 for a 5 year old game. I was gonna buy Legacy but I read reviews that suggested BC was better. There was a lot of doubt in my mind because of the very poor gfx but i'm glad I bought it. Anyways you can pick up brand new copies of Legacy for ?6 on ebay these days. And BC? thats going at ?40 now :D  After I bought the game I was looking for some mods for it and, well, i stumbled upon BC Files. Well you can imagine how I felt  :D

jb76 edit - edited out the several dozen emoticons...

Offline SimRex

• Cookies: 9
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2008, 05:31:57 PM »

Their financier would want results, and would put time restrictions on them.

Their financier would also want the game to run on as many PCs as possible, hence the generally low level of details of stock ships in pretty much all the Trek games - the more PCs can run the game, the more people who might buy it.

teeth_03

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2008, 12:39:41 PM »
of course,you need to rememeber this-

Gameplay > Graphics