Author Topic: Star Trek Online thread  (Read 177402 times)

Offline Daystar70

• Cookies: 10
Re: Star Trek Online thread
« Reply #1500 on: February 27, 2010, 03:46:50 PM »
Jupiterforce.com if you go to any stoked episode they are these guys fleet if you do a search in the thing in STO youll realise how many are in it. (btw 9th dawg no offense but i could never communicate w any of 9th fleet succesfully to get in to your fleet was not personal). I'll post one here

THEY HAVE AN APPLICATION TO JOIN I HAD TALKED TO ONE OF THEIR kLINGON FACTION oFFICERS AND HE GAVE ME A REFERAL TO GET IN.

Offline Tuskin38

• Cookies: 111
« Reply #1501 on: March 01, 2010, 06:38:33 AM »
look guys, the ISS Molly

Its the Flagship of James O'Brien,   Son of Miles "Smiley" O'Brien, who he killed to come into power of the Empire. yeah apparently Smiley was leader of the Empire.

Offline Dawg81

• Cookies: 29
  • I am Dawg; Resistence is futile
« Reply #1502 on: March 01, 2010, 11:19:41 AM »
no worries daystar on that just glad u were able to find a group cause u will need to fly with others on the rom missions those AI are tricky

Offline davies78

• Cookies: 16
« Reply #1503 on: March 01, 2010, 05:27:45 PM »
9thDawg

Hi i am still looking for a group to join if you are still taking on.
Stewie (to Lois): Look at him. He runs like a Welshman. Doesn't he run like a Welshman? Doesn't he? I think he runs like a Welshman. ...

Offline Barihawk

• Ninth Fleet STO Commanding Officer
  • Cookies: 225
  • BC: The Aftermath Member
    • My Released Work
« Reply #1504 on: March 01, 2010, 06:14:39 PM »

Offline Daystar70

« Reply #1505 on: March 01, 2010, 08:58:26 PM »
I did however, get Teamspeak working, so if you would not mind, i may pop in to say hi sometime and we can still be friendly, the Jupiter fleet is cool so far and i have talked to the Math guy Jeremy for hours last eve just me and him after people left shot the sh**t, they helped me get through a tough mission. I am commander 6 now and out of missions temporarily, i am doing +5 to my level Dominion/cardassian fleet actions to power level and doing pretty good in a t3 science ship USS FARSTAR (name from a star wars table top rpg boxed campaign timothy zahn the author penned).

Offline Dawg81

« Reply #1506 on: March 03, 2010, 01:48:35 PM »
of course u are more than welcomed to hop onto TS with us look for a PM from me about our TS addy

Offline Dawg81

« Reply #1507 on: March 06, 2010, 06:23:18 PM »
i see there havent been any new posts since my last so.. has anyone tried out that new fleet mission infected yet?

Offline 1DeadlySAMURAI

• Cookies: 139
  • Do'h
« Reply #1508 on: March 06, 2010, 09:30:21 PM »
There, just made commander an hour ago. :P

Offline Daystar70

« Reply #1509 on: March 07, 2010, 12:11:22 AM »
Gratz! i am close to captain myself..School and work have kept me so busy this week i have not been able to play much.

Offline Maxloef

• STBC Aftermath Co Founder
  • Cookies: 61
« Reply #1510 on: March 07, 2010, 03:43:44 AM »
There, just made commander an hour ago. :P

captain 8 (A)

Offline Dawg81

« Reply #1511 on: March 07, 2010, 11:06:11 AM »
im at commander 3 right now hopefully i can make captain this week hopefully

Offline Lionus

• Cookies: 79
« Reply #1512 on: March 08, 2010, 02:00:09 AM »
I'm severely tempted to get this one.. could anyone summarize the good and bad sides of this game? I feel that this might be more of my kind of game than Eve online for example..
Star Trek Quad-nacelle fanboy Extraordinaire

StarFleet Research and Development Crash Test Dummie/Test pilot

"Beyond the rim of the star-light
My love
Is wand'ring in star-flight
I know
He'll find in star-clustered reaches
Love,
Strange love a star woman teaches.
I know
His journey ends never
His star trek
Will go on forever.
But tell him
While he wanders his starry sea
Remember, remember me."

Offline Daystar70

« Reply #1513 on: March 08, 2010, 05:27:42 AM »
TheGame is only a month really out the door, and the potential is enormous. That being said, it has flaws as well, but the good outweigh the bad. Matter of fact cryptic even made a game trivia i saw in between instances today that (lamely) try and justify the multible player uniforms in the game in some pseudo-canon way- "in 24.. starfl;eet lifted the uniform code to allow officers to wear individual uniforms" (sorry- that defeats the definition of uniform, cryptic, nice try but i think you should have left that one blank and let players choose wether to care-individual uniforms? it Doesn't work that way in any organisation like starfleet, for thousands of years no fleet or legion or army has had "individual uniforms" ujnless due to lack of resources to manufacture them for every troop.

Anyhow- the pros-

The ship combat is awesome. period. it stays consistent to the shows and yet adds a MMoish flavor to upgrading that does not feel unrealistic to what could be reasons for any of it- weather or not it's a Galaxy class with dominion poloron beam weapons mixed with romulan plasma torpedoes- it has valid in game excuses why these constant field modifications and upgrades are happening.

Bridge officer diversity, customising, outfitting and naming etc- If i had one complaint is i wished i could choose to play a random BO as my main for whatever mission but otherwise they behave/respond to my commands quite well. I was with a friend and only could bring one BO-T'pom my science officer- middle of a cardassian mission involving thomas rikers son- my friend had to suddenly go leaving just me and t'pon facing the final boss-a GUl with a holo emitter that summoned a ton of holographic cardassian troops-I clicked "call in reinforcements" and in beamed 3 more redshirt npc security with simple hand phasers but i was more than grateful for ANY help! We kicked the Gul's butt.

I went on one mission yesterday that surprised me to all hell with how COOL it was when a Hirogen wormhole trap sprung on my ship the graphic cutscene was AWESOME to say the least and i was jaw dropped for a while before i started actually moving forward on the mission.

Cons- Repetition- for up until commander 9 for me, most missions got very same ol same ol different name on alien same ol- scan this- defeat this many x squadrons- beam down disarm that- beam over kill this- etc  but the missions are getting far more interesting now.

Forcing way to much Trek lore down our throats- yeah strange complaint but you will see what i mean.

Game is only a month old and i feel lot of room for improvement sure but a good sign of what it could become..only way to know for sure is hang with it.

Offline Lionus

« Reply #1514 on: March 08, 2010, 09:23:15 AM »
I see. I might or might not buy it later today.. Eve is bit too much concentrated on money and skills after you start doing lvl 4 missions. Can't do those alone either, no matter how sweet ship fit and skill abilities you have.

My love
I know
Love,
I know
His journey ends never
His star trek
Will go on forever.
But tell him
Remember, remember me."

Offline Dawg81

« Reply #1515 on: March 08, 2010, 11:44:28 AM »
well this game has me hooked its turning into a mystery of the hobus star explosion without spoiling it for those who havent gotten that far yet ties nicely into 09 Trek movie. For those who get that mission called ground zero make sure u have medical field generators and alot of heavy weaps casue u will be going up against alot of AI in the planetside mission of this

Offline Spade

• I'VE GOT TONE! FOX TWO! FOX TWO!
  • Cookies: 12
« Reply #1516 on: March 08, 2010, 06:13:44 PM »
I really enjoy the game and I have to agree with what Daystar has said. Though one of the biggest flaws I see in STO is the level cap. For example in WoW they can keep expanding the level cap with each expansion they come out with. With the new expansion for WoW coming out the end of 2010 the level cap will increase to 90. With STO you can reach Rear Admiral Lower Half comparatively quickly and even with expansions that will come out they can only go so high as Fleet Admiral. One of the rewards for gaining experience is making it to the next level. Once they max out the Starfleet and Klingon ranks, that is it. No more rewards for gaining experience. IMO what they should have done is make it harder to get to the next rank but you will still level up. (ex you have Lt1, Lt2, Lt3, ect.) Another thing to do would be to add a lot more ships so say when you reach LT5 you can get a new ship and at Lt10 you can get another one, just make it harder to get to those ranks. This would extend the life of your Starfleet character, because once you reach lv cap, you really have no reason to use that character anymore other than to help a fellow fleet mate having trouble with a mission.

Offline Hellsgate

• Administrator, "Star Trek: New Worlds"
  • Cookies: 2
  • Administrator, "Star Trek: New Worlds"
    • =^=Star Trek: New Worlds=^=
« Reply #1517 on: March 08, 2010, 11:00:26 PM »
I'm hoping to see more fan fics based on the "Star Trek: Online" timeline/era.
If At First You Don't Succeed, So Much For Skydiving.

Offline Lionus

« Reply #1518 on: March 09, 2010, 12:24:09 AM »
I really enjoy the game and I have to agree with what Daystar has said. Though one of the biggest flaws I see in STO is the level cap. For example in WoW they can keep expanding the level cap with each expansion they come out with. With the new expansion for WoW coming out the end of 2010 the level cap will increase to 90. With STO you can reach Rear Admiral Lower Half comparatively quickly and even with expansions that will come out they can only go so high as Fleet Admiral. One of the rewards for gaining experience is making it to the next level. Once they max out the Starfleet and Klingon ranks, that is it. No more rewards for gaining experience. IMO what they should have done is make it harder to get to the next rank but you will still level up. (ex you have Lt1, Lt2, Lt3, ect.) Another thing to do would be to add a lot more ships so say when you reach LT5 you can get a new ship and at Lt10 you can get another one, just make it harder to get to those ranks. This would extend the life of your Starfleet character, because once you reach lv cap, you really have no reason to use that character anymore other than to help a fellow fleet mate having trouble with a mission.

I agree with this. And perhaps there should be "Legendary"-ranks, that would gain bonuses to certain feats of the ship or such.. Oh well.. I think I will buy this one later today.

My love
I know
Love,
I know
His journey ends never
His star trek
Will go on forever.
But tell him
Remember, remember me."

Offline Lionus

« Reply #1519 on: March 10, 2010, 10:01:47 AM »
Currently installing the game.. And naturally, STO website is down for maintenance.  :funny

My love
I know
Love,
I know
His journey ends never
His star trek