Author Topic: Galaxy Class  (Read 1882 times)

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
Galaxy Class
« on: May 23, 2008, 10:20:31 PM »
Currently looking for a "relatively" low poly Galaxy Class model that looks pretty good, without being poly intensive. Afaik, the only Galaxies currently in existence are:

P81 Galaxy = Medium polygons (plenty of mesh errors, resulting in poor visuals ingame)
SNS Galaxy = High polygons (up until recently, this was imho the best looking Galaxy model)
DJ Galaxy = High polygons (as mentioned above, imho this is the current best looking Galaxy model)

Basically, what i'd like to see is if there exists a Galaxy model that has the visual greatness of the DJ/SNS Galaxies, but the polygon limit of roughly the P81 Galaxy, without the extensive model errors the P81 Galaxy suffered from, most notably around the deflector and nacelle areas. If it's possible to create a "lower polygon" version based off of the SNS or DJ Galaxies without compromising visual quality too much, would be great.

My aim is to have dozens if not hundreds of ships actively in combat in the mod i'm working on, and as such I prefer not to use the high polygon models of the DJ/SNS Galaxies, or other known high polygon greats :)
Official BCC Discord · https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Nebula

• BC elder / BCC Vice Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1129
  • KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder (2002)
    • 9th fleet HQ
Re: Galaxy Class
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 10:32:57 PM »
heh just have to look at the galaxy in KM 1.0 its a retextured and fixed P81/c2x galaxy.
Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Game Narrator
  • Cookies: 54
  • while(!(succeed=try()));
    • BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 10:34:03 PM »
or the CE galaxy which is a further improvement on that

intrepid90

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 05:42:29 AM »
whats with the ce?
doesnt it have also rather lots of polies??

Offline Shion

• Cookies: 4
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 07:36:15 AM »
Nope, the CE Galaxy doesn't have that many polys.  Sounds just like what your looking for.  Textures are beautiful, mesh errors were fixed.

Offline Billz

• Cookies: 45
  • Doctor who? ;)
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 07:55:21 AM »
Theres one model thats been overlooked. How about the stock galaxy model that shipped with the game? Just slap on some replacement textures and it will be perfect for anyone that has a prehistoric system, lol.
Can't wait for 2014 to start.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2008, 11:04:49 AM »
Look up the Favour The Bold mod, it has a Galaxy designed for big scale multiplayer action.
And made by RedDragon, who is primarly a Homeworld modder, meaning a low poly master modeller.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2008, 12:26:29 PM »
Look up the Favour The Bold mod, it has a Galaxy designed for big scale multiplayer action.
And made by RedDragon, who is primarly a Homeworld modder, meaning a low poly master modeller.

I did consider this one, however it uses way too many separate texture maps for my taste, ranging from 16x16 to 512x512. A remapped FTB Galaxy would be great, but I don't know how to do remapping.
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline DJ Curtis

• Ship Builder
  • Cookies: 1410
  • I make ships.
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2008, 01:46:03 PM »
exactly what polycount would be suitable?

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2008, 05:39:05 PM »
Around 5-6k. If its possible to get a lower polygon version of your (DJ) Galaxy Class, but with the same awesome textures, it would be perfect :D
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline DJ Curtis

• Ship Builder
  • Cookies: 1410
  • I make ships.
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2008, 06:01:38 PM »
well, the textures are made to fit the mesh precisely, so if the mesh were reduced, there would need to be a remapping of the whole thing, plus you'd probably end up with not as crisp of a look, because the textures would get cut off in places, etc.

Offline Nebula

• BC elder / BCC Vice Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1129
  • KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder (2002)
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2008, 06:04:49 PM »
I don't think he cares much for a crisp look he is trying to get 100+ ships on screen so I think with all the action you wouldn't notice much. heh?
Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2008, 06:20:52 PM »
Then RedDragon with some smart texture loading (packing multiple smaller textures in bigger ones) you could have a winner, remember, in Homeworld, I've had 200+ ships on screen at once. On an old PC.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2008, 07:55:39 PM »
Perhaps I placed this thread in the wrong forums, as I forgot to add that the ships in question will be in a mod I am currently working on, for the game "Sins of a Solar Empire". We're currently using P81's Galaxy as placeholder, with some major issues that needs fixing, or simply replacing the model entirely.

P81 Galaxy in 3DS Max

P81 Galaxy in XSI
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline moed

• Cookies: 57
  • Star Trekus Fanaticus
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2008, 01:52:27 AM »
Theres one model thats been overlooked. How about the stock galaxy model that shipped with the game? Just slap on some replacement textures and it will be perfect for anyone that has a prehistoric system, lol.

I agree, it's surprisingly not too bad of a model.