Author Topic: Interesting error, without an error...  (Read 1121 times)

Offline cordanilus

• Cookies: 608
Interesting error, without an error...
« on: December 28, 2007, 11:16:37 PM »
I was starting up my BC install when it decided not to run.  I tried it again and again but nothing (visual) happens.  I checked the "Windows Task Manager" and it's there running like usual.

So I deleted the "options.cfg" and BC started.  So I get a quick battle game ready and click for start.  When I tried to play, nothing would work...then I realized that all the controls had been reset to nothing.

Now, I've got all the controls I wanted set..but...when I press "esc" to get the main menu, I don't get it.  The control for that has been reset as well.  Now, I want to configure the "esc" button for the menu but I don't see it in the "keyboard config" in the menu so I guess it has to be done in the py.

How would I go about doing that? or should I just replace it with an earlier version of the file?

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
Re: Interesting error, without an error...
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 10:41:45 AM »
It would appear you will have to delete KeyBindings.py(c) and start over (again).
For some reason, it stopped including the ESC key.

Or you can attempt and add this line to the end of KeyBindings.py
Code: [Select]
App.g_kKeyboardBinding.BindKey(App.WC_ESCAPE, App.TGKeyboardEvent.KS_KEYDOWN, App.ET_INPUT_TOGGLE_OPTIONS, App.KeyboardBinding.GET_EVENT, 0, App.KeyboardBinding.KBT_LOCKOUT_CHANGE)Including the tab at the beginning.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline cordanilus

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 01:54:46 PM »
Excellent. Thanks MLeo.  You're getting a cookie for that. :D

Worked like a charm. :D  Thanks again.

Edit:
You can lock this thread now. it served it's purpose.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007, 02:32:52 PM »
Just out of curiosity, which method did you use?
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline cordanilus

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2007, 07:21:05 PM »
I just added the code to the bottom of the "KeyboardBinding.py"

Offline Billz

• Cookies: 45
  • Doctor who? ;)
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2007, 07:39:09 PM »
Any idea why it happend in the first place?

Just so we know what to look out for. (It will more then likely happen to me at some point, LOL  :lol: )
Can't wait for 2014 to start.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2007, 10:21:25 AM »
Most likely, BC crashed while writing to that file, since it always outputs that file at exit.
So that setting got lost.

Offline cordanilus

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2007, 11:57:49 AM »
Let me think...

I know I was playing a game and I'm sure my memory was getting low then BC crashed.  I had no memory warnings and the computer was going fine still.  So, when I tried to start it up again...nothing.  I checked to see if the application was showing up and running in Windows Task Manager, it was there and running as if it were usual.

But all I saw was the desktop.  I decided to wait a while to see if BC would load but still nothing.  I deleted the options.cfg and the game started up.  That's when all the fun began with the keyboard settings.  It's not all 100% now but I got what I needed.

I can't think of anything else that would have caused this kind of weirdness.  Lol, only on my computer I guess.  I do tend to find the weird ones and I'm thinking that this was going on for a while now because the Mouse wheel button would cause the game to lag and I wasn't sure why.

I asked USS Sovereign about that but he was kind of busy.  According to the console report, that mouse button was triggering a New QB Game but was already running one so it cancelled.  Or something like that, not even sure how that one came about.

At least it's going good now, lol.  Thanks again MLeo. :D