Author Topic: Docking problems  (Read 2276 times)

Offline serverandenforcer

• Frustrated and Strugling Modeler
  • Cookies: 270
Docking problems
« on: December 11, 2007, 03:07:52 AM »
Well, I've been trying to figure this one out for a while now.  I can't seem to be able to dock at Starbase 12 or Dry Dock anymore when I warp to them.  However, if I end the quick battle at Starbase 12 or Dry Dock, I am then able to dock at the stations.  However, if I warp out of the system and then back in again, I can no longer dock.

MikeA

Re: Docking problems
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 05:16:01 PM »
I have the same problem, as soon as I installed the Galaxy charts mod, docking was grayed out.  Not sure about a real fix, but a workaround I use is targeting the base I want to dock at, and ordering the base itself to dock.  Sounds silly, but it will enable you to proceed with docking normally.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 06:23:20 PM »
I suggest you ask the author of the mod that allows you to dock in the first place.
Since this isn't "normal" for BC to allow you to do this outside the Single Player campaign.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 10:31:37 PM »
Huh?  I thought it was normal Mleo.  Anyways then, who would the author be for docking?

Offline CaptainGMAN

• Cookies: 9
  • Call me Gibbs
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 01:24:45 AM »
USS Frontier
He hangs out on BCS.
Oh and I had this same thing a long time before Galaxy charts?

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 04:58:11 AM »
Well,this happened right after I downloaded Galaxy Charts, and Frontier told me that Galaxy Charts wouldn't affect docking.  However, when I disable the Galaxy Charts mutator, I am able to dock to Starbase 12 when I warp to it.

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 07:48:22 AM »
Oh and I had this same thing a long time before Galaxy charts?
same here - the docking issue really doesnt have anything to do with GC...  (i am 99% sure of that)
in either event, the link to GC Tech Support is here:
http://bcscripters.com/forums/index.php/board,81.0.html

Offline Nighthawk

• |______[o]_|
  • Cookies: 18
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2007, 08:16:25 AM »
huh,... somehow because the starbase is set as neutral?
anyone ever noticed that?

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2007, 12:55:14 PM »
That's possible.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline USS Frontier

• Cookies: 562
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2007, 12:59:43 PM »
Ok, first, MLeo is right, docking outside single player isn't normal, a mod enabled that, and it isn't my mod. It is from Defiant if i'm not mistaken.

As GMAN and Jimmy said to have this problem even before GC, I doubt GC causes it... Like I said before, it shouldn't affect docking.
If the starbase is neutral, then that's probably the reason why you can't dock with it (it's been some time since I went there to see it lol). So if it is that, the problem is: Why the starbase is neutral?
This however I also can't awnser cause I didn't found the part of code that creates the starbase 12 and sets it's attributes. Normally, static objects like stations and planets of a system is created in the system script (normally those with a "_S" in the end of the name), however this isn't true for the Starbase12 system. I checked it's scripts, and they do not create the starbase, so another script which I don't know which creates it, and we need to check it to see why the starbase is set as neutral.

But, setting the starbase, or any other ship for that matter, as neutral, can be done from any script, so even if the problem is the fact that it is set as neutral, it may be not in the code that creates the starbase12.
"Revenge is a dish best served cold"
                    -Old Klingon Proverb
GravityFX Download
Galaxy Charts Download

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2007, 01:02:41 PM »
I know that using the proper script (not the GTF or GFT or whatever) for adding systems to NanoFXv2Beta did this.

[EDIT] Meaning, GC doesn't perform this part of that code extra code.
Maybe add a post process function to your (new) plugin system?

Offline Nighthawk

• |______[o]_|
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2007, 01:16:29 PM »
This however I also can't awnser cause I didn't found the part of code that creates the starbase 12 and sets it's attributes. Normally, static objects like stations and planets of a system is created in the system script (normally those with a "_S" in the end of the name), however this isn't true for the Starbase12 system. I checked it's scripts, and they do not create the starbase, so another script which I don't know which creates it, and we need to check it to see why the starbase is set as neutral.
I'd have started with E1M1.py
right where everything started.

That's possible.
gee, I love alternate thinking lol

EDIT: E1M1.py will do. it pre-loads all, loads the set, makes a list of friendlies, places the objects, names them with the list of names created, and moves them to each set (namely, DryDock and Starbase12 sets)
so, when you warp to SB12, it's already loaded as friendly.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2007, 01:29:22 PM »
That's possible.
gee, I love alternate thinking lol
Yeah, considering that it's possible that setting it to friendly, instead of nowhere at all, could help. Or, if there was some specific AI to be set. Or some code that the Graff character loads/has (yes, it has docking specific code in it).

EDIT: E1M1.py will do. it pre-loads all, loads the set, makes a list of friendlies, places the objects, names them with the list of names created, and moves them to each set (namely, DryDock and Starbase12 sets)
so, when you warp to SB12, it's already loaded as friendly.
Then how do you explain, that in a "naive" load through NanoFXv2Beta, or even through "hacking" the original QB to allow warping to SB12 or Drydock actually crashes the game?

Offline Nighthawk

• |______[o]_|
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2007, 01:58:19 PM »
must have mistyped the steps.
I mean, everything is there, just following the code I got to reach the line where it creates the starbase, puts it in the friendly list and places it in the SB12 set.

one thing I don't get used yet is TG's way to sort out the procedures above and below each other.
but they named them preety clearly so it's fairly easy to see the flow.

Offline USS Frontier

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2007, 06:00:42 PM »
I know that using the proper script (not the GTF or GFT or whatever) for adding systems to NanoFXv2Beta did this.

GTF/GFT ??

I didn't see any extra code for SB12 or Dry Dock in NanoFXv2Beta...
And I found out that it's the QuickBattle script that creates and sets up the Starbase 12 (I still didn't found which one creates the Dry Dock...), when a simulation starts. So you just need to play in QB to make them dockable.
Anyway, i'll make an autoload script to setup the SB12 and Dry Dock, based on your race. The SB12 part I already know how to do, the Dry Dock however I still didn't find the original code that creates it.
Tho I won't be able to test it... I recently changed my HD (actually the whole PC pratically), and still didn't re-installed BC, and my BC CD is with a friend...

BTW, I just read the Docking script, and you need to be friendly to the starbase to make the Dock button enabled.
                    -Old Klingon Proverb
GravityFX Download
Galaxy Charts Download

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2007, 06:59:13 PM »
Hey Frontier, sorry for posting this issue at your forum for GC.  Didn't know if you would be stopping by here or not.  Well there's one thing I would also like to point out with this whole docking thing.  When I start a quick battle mission, and have selected the starbase under the friendly ship catagory, I still can't dock to it.  So, something must be over-riding the starbase to be friendly so you can dock to it.  Now, since we already mentioned that the Starbase-12 is being set to neutral, it shouldn't come under attack by enemy ships.  However, it does.  In one scenario, I was battling lint's Neghvar and warped to Starbase-12.  The Neghvar followed me, and jumped out from warp close to the base.  It then started to attack the base instead.  Now I thought neutral targets were also immune from attack by enemy ships as well, unless I'm mistaken.

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2007, 08:14:09 PM »
Well, I kind of figured out my own problem with this, but I'm still not quite satisfied in the way that I have to do it.  Basically, I have to switch sides to friendly with Starbase-12 (which I find that I shouldn't have to do in the first place, but oh well), order the base to dock, and then the docking button becomes functional.  However, I still think there should be away to go around this so that you don't have to go through all of that just to dock to the base.

Offline USS Frontier

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2007, 09:40:56 PM »
lol, that isn't a problem. Some AIs do attack neutral ships.
And don't worry about making that thread lol.

Like I said, if you want I can make you a script to "fix" the Starbase 12 and Dry Dock (creating them if they aren't there, and properly setting their group based on your race).

When I start a quick battle mission, and have selected the starbase under the friendly ship catagory, I still can't dock to it.  So, something must be over-riding the starbase to be friendly so you can dock to it.
Now that I don't know what may be causing it... However, that is most definately not GC related. Like MLeo said in the 3rd post:
I suggest you ask the author of the mod that allows you to dock in the first place.
                    -Old Klingon Proverb
GravityFX Download
Galaxy Charts Download

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2007, 11:08:18 PM »
Yeah Frontier, if you can make a script, that would be cool, especially since I don't now how to do that.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2007, 06:32:47 AM »

GTF/GFT ??
A "scripter" who just added a whole bunch of systems to the NanoFXv2Beta system loading code, without even thinking about what the hell he was doing.
Caused me a lot of headaches to tell people not to use it.

I didn't see any extra code for SB12 or Dry Dock in NanoFXv2Beta...
Because it's an addition to NanoFXv2.