Author Topic: Jaggies with newest ATI drivers  (Read 1135 times)

Offline Bigkap

• Cookies: 5
Jaggies with newest ATI drivers
« on: November 14, 2007, 03:44:24 PM »
Hey folks, need a bit of help here. I have always run BC at 1600x1200 res and up until a few weeks ago had no problems in terms of anti-aliasing or antisotropic filtering in BC. Put simply, the textures were fine. Since installing the new drivers for my Sapphire Radeon x700, I get jaggies when set to 1600x1200. I've messed with the AA and AF settings but nothing has happened. Also, a new setting in Catalyst has appeared as Adaptive Anti-Aliasing. Tried turning it on/off but the problem persists in BC.

Any thoughts ideas would be welcome. I have used an older driver which works but I don't understand why something that is supposed to be "new and improved" would serve to downgrade the graphics quality.

Thanks for any advice you guys can provide!

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
Re: Jaggies with newest ATI drivers
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 05:24:46 PM »
When you start the game (this doesn't mean QB) go to Graphics Options and try setting the graphics driver to the not T&L one (the T&L one is selected by default, so it's always the other) and see if that helps.

If it does, then I'm afraid you will have to take this step everytime, or switching resolution back and forth.

I believe Lost_Jedi made a script to do this automaticly, but I'm unsure where (if it was) released.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline Bigkap

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 06:57:00 PM »
Didn't have any effect I'm afraid. I am honestly boggled by this.

Offline Jb06

• Cookies: 968
  • JL Studios Co-Founder
    • JL Studios
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 07:08:03 PM »
2 questions

1: Have you still got jaggies on other games

2: What OS are you running?

~Jb06

JLS

Offline Bigkap

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007, 07:33:38 PM »
1= BF 2142 is the only other PC game I play but it is on the fritz right now as well (Not graphically).

2= I'm running XP pro with a vista shell pack installed (Vista Inspirat2).

Offline moed

• Cookies: 57
  • Star Trekus Fanaticus
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 03:15:18 AM »
I suspect the Vista shell may be conflicting with the functionality of the new ATI driver.

Unfortunately, when ATI or Nvidia release new drivers... they're not always completely tested to the highest criterion.

Remember the old saying: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

My advice is to go back to the older drivers and if they work well... and satisfy your desires, then stick with them. they probably take up less of your system resources anyway.

Offline lint

• Cookies: 211
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007, 04:22:47 AM »
yeah i agree, vista would most likely be the problem, all that thing does is eat up system resources and makes perfectly functioning program utterly unusable or buggy as hell

Offline El

• Master Hardpointer
  • Retired Administrator
  • Cookies: 123
  • Former Vice Admin
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2007, 08:33:09 AM »
He's not running vista, just a replacement shell so that doesn't always follow. (There's far more to Vista than aero)

I'd run the ATI removal tool (can't remember its exact name), that strips all registry entries and other gubbins for ATI stuff from your machine and then install the drivers again. Could be something as simple as corrupt config entry.
You may also need to force AA on in the driver settings.

The tool is on the ATI site somewhere....

Offline Glenn

• Starfleet Command
  • Cookies: 190
  • Captain - USS Explorer
    • Captain Elgy's Star Trek Files
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2007, 08:55:44 AM »
He's not running vista, just a replacement shell so that doesn't always follow. (There's far more to Vista than aero)

I'd run the ATI removal tool (can't remember its exact name), that strips all registry entries and other gubbins for ATI stuff from your machine and then install the drivers again. Could be something as simple as corrupt config entry.
You may also need to force AA on in the driver settings.

The tool is on the ATI site somewhere....

I agree with Elminster...

I also have the Vista Inspirat pack installed on my Windows XP home computer, I to have an ATI Sapphire 1600 graphics card and I've had no problems at all since downloading and installing the vista inspirat shell pack.

My guess is that it's new driver, I too downloaded the latest ATI driver three or four months back, and although I had no problems, the upgraded Catalyst Control Center ate up far more system resources than the original driver.

My advice is stick with the tried and trusted, go back to whatyou were using before.
  :D

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2007, 01:02:13 PM »
Couple of other things you can try:
Switching the resolution back and forth.
Running in Windowed Mode (atleast for a test).
Go to windowed mode and back.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline Billz

• Cookies: 45
  • Doctor who? ;)
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2007, 04:25:19 PM »
I had this problem a few months ago. Someone suggested to me that I should uninstall Catalyst Control Center and install something 'ATI Tray Tools'.

Since then, no jaggy problems in any games whatsoever. Its basically a simplified version of Catalyst that, you know, works. LOL.
Can't wait for 2014 to start.

Offline Bigkap

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2007, 11:38:28 PM »
Well I appreciate all the suggestions folks. Looks like I'll have to go back to some old drivers. I may try doing as Elm suggests as well and delete all the ati folders and try installing the new drivers again.