Author Topic: Tired of the disrespect  (Read 4254 times)

Offline lint

• Cookies: 211
Re: Tired of the disrespect
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2007, 11:48:43 AM »
DJ I am with you with the lack of respect some people have these days, I even checked to see if the mantis was converted but thankfully it wasn't.

Not yet anyway..

I reckon we should start a thread or make a text document and all the BC modders who dont want there stuff ported to legacy should add there name to it, or if its a text document, message the person who creates the document so they can put your name down, and after a week or so or when everyone who wants to boycott legacy has submitted there name we pass that list onto the admins at legacy files. and it will be there responsibility to check the original mod credits in the read me,
Its pretty clear that certain people over at legacy files dont have the same moral's or respect and have a disregard for other peoples hard work, its just a matter of time someone submits a mod without permission or submits one with the knowledge that the author does not want it ported.

intrepid90

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2007, 12:43:51 PM »
I can totally understand this.
I searched the Potd on legacyfiles and found your comment:
#17 - A few things - Posted by: DJ_Curtis (Member) on 10-23-2007 at 08:02
Edit

If you would like to discuss this further in an appropriate manner then please do so without trying to initiate a boycott on Legacy by the community. Comments like that are not helpful and are certainly not appreciated.

Consider yourself warned

- IKS

Lol, you were warned?
sorry, but wtf?!
They didn't have your permission and your not allowed to be angry?? oO

If this is so, I would talk with this mod of legacyfiles.

Offline Dawg81

• Cookies: 29
  • I am Dawg; Resistence is futile
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2007, 01:24:27 PM »
DJ I am with you with the lack of respect some people have these days, I even checked to see if the mantis was converted but thankfully it wasn't.

Not yet anyway..

I reckon we should start a thread or make a text document and all the BC modders who dont want there stuff ported to legacy should add there name to it, or if its a text document, message the person who creates the document so they can put your name down, and after a week or so or when everyone who wants to boycott legacy has submitted there name we pass that list onto the admins at legacy files. and it will be there responsibility to check the original mod credits in the read me,
Its pretty clear that certain people over at legacy files dont have the same moral's or respect and have a disregard for other peoples hard work, its just a matter of time someone submits a mod without permission or submits one with the knowledge that the author does not want it ported.

This is a good idea. I was about to suggest something similar. I second this.

intrepid90

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2007, 02:12:09 PM »
hmm, okay it's a good idea indeed, but I think also the legacyfiles staff knows that DJ doesn't want any of his ships ported.
I think not only the BV players know this fact.
correct me if I'm wrong

Offline moed

• Cookies: 57
  • Star Trekus Fanaticus
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2007, 02:38:06 PM »
I'm completely with you DJ!

Offline lint

« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2007, 03:05:57 PM »
so what do you guys reckon, i think the best and easiest way is to post a topic in this forum (BC General) and sticky it,
And make it clear what it is for and thats its not for conversation,

Offline WileyCoyote

• The Other Ship Builder
  • Cookies: 1219
  • Awesome-sauce factory owner
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2007, 03:33:46 PM »
It is common sense.  If someone doesn't want their ships ported to another game, it is the original mod/ship authors' permission to give the okay.  DJ_Curtis has every right to protect his mods from other people.  The people who become members on Filefront will do whatever it takes to get what they want.  There should be more responsible people to check these things.  Do people ever get punished?

That is why I always PM/email the original author for his or her permission before changing someone else's mod.  DJ has every right to be mad.
Please visit my Deviantart page at www.trekmodeler.deviantart.com.

My website is up! Download my ships here: http://www.michaelwileyart.com

Offline cordanilus

• Cookies: 608
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2007, 03:34:20 PM »
Why not ask for the picture to be removed from the potd archive?

I would suggest chatting with the administrator and ask him to post a news item or such, about people who need to respect the wishes of people who make the mods for any game.

And suggest that that user be banned because he/she knew full well that the ships wasn't to be ported to legacy as per the post, "i hoped that you will change you mind when you saw this pic" - Noci3

And IKS_YO_MAMA stated that "Check out this thread about Permissions with regards to a mod's validity... Stealing is wrong, and releasing uncredited work is stealing.. And banning will be immeadiate if the case against you is strong enough"

I say, take him up on his word.  In his own words, "I will issue bans. Please don't tempt me into action so quickly." - IKS_YO_MAMA

Let him ban Noci3.

Offline atomic danny

• Filefront - Network Admin
  • BCFiles Staff
  • Cookies: 19
    • Alienworlds UK Forums
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2007, 06:13:42 PM »
Thank you jimmy for making me read a nice long thread :P (I'm only a file poster on the bcfiles site ;))

I'm under the impression that none of these files have actually been added to legacy files as of yet? (I couldn't find any), although i'll keep an eye out on that site to make sure that none appear (or if they do they will be taken down as soon as i get a chance). Also I'm assuming that its ok for them to convert it if its for personal use? but what about the screenshot in the POTD would you like me to remove that?

Danny - Filefront Network Admin
Danny
FileFront - Network Administrator
SG1 Files - Files Poster
GTA Files - Site Admin

Offline DJ Curtis

• Ship Builder
  • Cookies: 1410
  • I make ships.
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2007, 06:26:33 PM »
My concern wasn't even so much about the POTD, it's just a picture, after all.  My concern is really that the mod is possibly being circulated in a "black market", if you will.  There's nothing anyone can do about that, so, while it bugs me, it's not worth lighting fires over. 

The comment board was being used in such a way that at least one person made an open request to have the ship emailed to him.  That's what bothered me.  When I tried to explain why I didn't want the ship transmitted (ie. boycott), the MOD remarked that I was out of line.

Offline lint

« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2007, 06:37:44 PM »
The way i see it is.
there are over 1000 views of it and the chances of atleast one person seeing that, getting the idea, downloading it, porting it and possibly circulating it increase by a massive amount.
So in a way the damage is already done.

And i really would'nt be surprised if it was already in a "black market" circulation as DJ mentions

Offline Rob Archer

• Cookies: 545
  • New Frontier MKVI
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2007, 06:59:37 PM »

For me legacy seems to be the single biggest violator in terms of BC Modders wishes, I've seen hundreds of BC ships on that site which I've wondered if they got the original creators permission

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2007, 07:20:22 PM »
Hell, i've even been banned from a popular Legacy forum because I was concerned that BC ships were being ported without permission :P

I think the guys in the Legacy community need to get a strong wake-up call and be notified that it's not ok to arbitrarily take content from other games, and stick into Legacy without first checking if it's ok to do so from the original authors. I.e it should be done BEFORE porting the ship in question into the game, not after it's been done.
Official BCC Discord · https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline ModderMan

• Freaky Old School
  • Cookies: 2
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2007, 07:34:59 PM »
Im with ya all they way DJ, I can't believe that someone would do something like  this, shame to see where some modding communities are going.. can;t even make their own stuff

Offline Rob Archer

• Cookies: 545
  • New Frontier MKVI
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2007, 07:36:58 PM »
You realize of course that If an I stress If we manage to stem the flow of Ported ships, the Legacy guys are going to turn around and badmouth the BC Guys "US" claiming that we are hording the models and preventing legacy from growing (If thats actually Possible)

Offline lint

« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2007, 07:50:01 PM »
I for one will never allow or give permission to port anything i release into Legacy,
just out of principal after recent events. Amongst the numerous other reasons.
Even if you KNOW the original author of a mod allows modifications you still ask, its the right thing todo.

Legacy wont grow much beyond what it has,
yeah, you have different game modes, different ships and maps, but in the end its still the same dull game play,
Legacy community members may have digs at BC, but in the end the fact of the matter is...
atleast our ships can go in reverse....

LS Marie

« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2007, 09:12:15 PM »
Headline: "Irritated Wife Snoops Through the Interwebz, Finds More Stupidity."
http://chrisjonesgaming.net/forum/index.php?topic=2146.0

On the flip side though, the husband is mentioned in Wikipedia.  Which in our community of geeks, is the equivalent of being in People magazine:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_Bridge_Commander#Modding

Sandtrooper

« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2007, 09:47:11 PM »
 :shock:

In dis situation, we've got a d00d here whos showing off the Ent-F in the Legacy community (but is making every1 drool over it, but I don't think hes intending to release it, or IS HE?).....Me thinks DJ wants to issue death sentences now...

Offline cordanilus

• Cookies: 608
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2007, 10:02:41 PM »
Wow, I just posted something there.  I didn't say anything cruel, I just asked the guy who ported it to legacy to read the readme again because he missed some important info.

I hope I'm not stepping over any line.

Chris Jones asked me some time ago about porting the drydocks to Legacy.  It isn't there yet but with what's going on, I'm having second thoughts.

I never played Legacy and I won't have any bad thoughts about it until I try it out for myself.

What do you think?

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2007, 10:37:49 PM »
Wow, I just posted something there.  I didn't say anything cruel, I just asked the guy who ported it to legacy to read the readme again because he missed some important info.

I hope I'm not stepping over any line.

Chris Jones asked me some time ago about porting the drydocks to Legacy.  It isn't there yet but with what's going on, I'm having second thoughts.

I never played Legacy and I won't have any bad thoughts about it until I try it out for myself.

What do you think?

I had a good laugh just now. After reading the post you made at the UU forums (I'm banned from posting there, but I can still read the posts). After your comment about that they should read the readme that came with the ship, someone gave you a negative karma (total atm is -1). Guess somebody over there took offense to what you said :P
Official BCC Discord · https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera