Author Topic: Possible new phaser effect?  (Read 1234 times)

Offline serverandenforcer

• Frustrated and Strugling Modeler
  • Cookies: 270
Possible new phaser effect?
« on: August 06, 2007, 12:16:12 PM »
The target plasma mod from BCS Beginings.  When  you target a plasma stream and fire at it, you get a chain reaction firery effect leading up to the ship that's venting the plasma and hits it, thus damaging it.  Is it possible to use this technique to replace phasers in order to simulate the effect used in Nemesis when the Enterprise was firing their phasers?  Basically the ship will be firing a plasma stream at another ship, but it has a damage effect to it.

Alexraptor

Re: Possible new phaser effect?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 03:10:44 PM »
I don't think it is but then again i'm no expert, but i do know it would murder performance, because the way i see it it would have to be attached to an object, or something sort of working like a trail, now heres the catch, in order for it to look good it has to be VERY dense to move at the full speed of a phaser, and thats faster than a ship moves in bc.

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 03:55:08 PM »
you might want to ask at the BCS forums and see if they have any ideas...
http://bcscripters.com/forums/index.php?board=6.0

Offline LJ

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 1139
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 04:27:26 PM »
Nope.  We have all gone mad.

Offline Nighthawk

• |______[o]_|
  • Cookies: 18
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 04:35:05 PM »
The target plasma mod from BCS Beginings.  When  you target a plasma stream and fire at it, you get a chain reaction firery effect leading up to the ship that's venting the plasma and hits it, thus damaging it.  Is it possible to use this technique to replace phasers in order to simulate the effect used in Nemesis when the Enterprise was firing their phasers?  Basically the ship will be firing a plasma stream at another ship, but it has a damage effect to it.
AFAIK, the phasers in Nemesis are not much different than in FC or Insurrection ???

startrekw_george

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2007, 05:21:16 PM »
this idea would be better for a better more modern version of the deflector pulse.

Offline serverandenforcer

• Frustrated and Strugling Modeler
  • Cookies: 270
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2007, 07:18:52 PM »
Rats. I thought I had an out of the box moment.  I didn't think it would cause that much of a drain in system performance though.

I was thinking of it being done around the sameway Alexraptor.  Just use a projectile script that vents plasma off on the start... a lot of plasma, or a lot of projectiles.